American cars are getting better!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Jul 25, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

:party::party::party:

I figured American car manufacturers would catch up eventually

3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I actually saw that on my CNN app on my phone. I was really surprised, but it is a sharp looking car.

4. McClintoc

It is indeed a great looking car. As I have mentioned before, I will be buying a new car around tax refund time next year. I briefly considered a new Impala and the Consumer Reports thumbs-up certainly made a great case for it. However, it just doesn't have the engine/drive train options I am looking for. I want a manula, RWD V-8. The Impala has either a 2.5L 4-cyl (on a full-sized sedan, wtf?) or a 3.6L V-6 and FWD. Blah. Still nice to see that American cars are improving, though.

5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The 2.5L is available for the Impala (it has 197HP), but most people will get the V6.

If you want a RWD V8 sedan with a manual transmission, your choices are limited.

Chevrolet SS
    Cadillac CTS-V
    BMW M5

There might be a few I'm missing, but the segment is pretty thin.

6. McClintoc

Yup, the SS and the CTS-V are at the top of my list but pricey. I may have to drop the rear doors and get a Camaro.

7. stchman

I know the CTS-V is pricey, but has GM announced pricing on the new SS? I would bet it will be less than a CTS-V.

A Camaro with a V8 isn't going to be cheap either.

8. McClintoc

I haven't seen anything official but what I have seen suggests it will be in the low to mid 40s which is half the price of a new CTS-V.

I am really looking at a pre-owned CTS-V for now. I know I can't afford a new one but there are some decently priced pre-owns out there.

9. stchman

A loaded 2014 Impala runs ~$42K. You can get a well loaded CTS-V for $63K as GM is giving $5K cash back on the 2013 models.

My big thing about the 2013 CTS-V is that chicken wire looking upper and lower grill. IMO it looks horrible. Hopefully the 2014 CTS-V will have a much nicer looking front end.

10. McClintoc

I thought CTS-Vs were in the 80s?

Also, I love the mesh grilles so I'm good there.