1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

American Made Index- How much of your truck is American Made??

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by the phantom, Jun 4, 2012.

1. the phantom

the phantom Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I see everyone posting how they stick with the American made vehicles so I checked out how much are made here. Everyone thought I was nuts when I told them back when I bought my Honda Ridgeline back in 06 that it was more american made than some of the big 3 companies trucks. Basically the only argument someone had was that the Engineering/technology wasnt american but anyway this is from Cars.com's American Made Index. Check it out.

"The F-150 held a commanding No. 1 spot in the first three years that we've compiled the index, with domestic parts content as high as 90 percent. Alas, today's Michigan- and Missouri-built F-150 bears only 60 percent domestic content rating. Similarly, the Chevrolet Silverado, which held second place for much of the F-150's reign, has just 61 percent domestic content. Chrysler's Ram 1500 pickup's 70 percent domestic content fares better, but it still falls short of the AMI's 75-percent cutoff."
    This year, the Toyota Tundra and Ford F-Series will be eligible for the AMI because both have 75 percent domestic parts content, according to current data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. For the F-Series, that's 15 percentage points better than a year ago. The Tundra was the only pickup in the 2011 index, ranking eighth among all cars and trucks. As for the Ridgeline, these are preliminary numbers but they are likely to be close. Domestic parts content for the Ram and Chevy Silverado are relatively unchanged from a year ago, and are well below the cutoff. Keep in mind, though, that the domestic parts content among some models can shift wildly year to year.
    Here are the rankings for 2012, according to the most recent NHTSA info. (We should note some models could be missing because their data was not reported or is combined with other models.)
    [​IMG]
  2. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Very interesting facts. Makes you think huh. Where is this country headed?
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know, not only that but how much % is Canada vs US. Not that it matters because of our great relationship to our nieghbors to the north but it needs to be called North American Made. (wich would include Mexico too.)
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

As with all american labor force jobs, they are being outsourced for better (record) profits. While manufacturing facilities are leaving the Usa to third world countries, third world citizens are migrating to the USA which now has fewer employment opportunities to handle the mass in flow.
    After looking at several issues one question keeps coming up.
    If we continue to build manufacturing facilities in Mexico and other countries why do those people come to the USA?

Here is a short list of what a few of us observed;
    1. In their country they have to pay taxes. In the USA they don't.
    2. In their country they have to pay for housing, USA gives it to them as a courteous neighbor.
    3. In their Country they are required to pay for their own medical expenses and health care. In the USA we give them free medical care and free insurance.
    4. In their country they have to pay for their food. In the USa they maintain list of food banks and get welfare to pay for what they don't get free. Thus free food.
    5. In their country they help cover education expenses. The USA just lets them go for free and includes breakfast and lunch.

So why would they want to stay in their own country? Yup you got it.
  6. Ape

Ape New Member

Which explains why my new crate motor was made in Mexico! :grrrrrr:
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

i hate the argument that foreign cars are more american. think about it at the end of the day where does you money end up? Id rather buy American which benefits and American company.
  8. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This argument has gone on for a long time and if you know anything about business you know that companies open to turn a profit. The bottom line is where does that profit go? If you buy a Japanese car or truck that is made here the profit is still going to Japan. That being said, I think allot of the Japanese people and they do make a good product but I support my country first. I have no problem with Mazda for this very reason, Mazda is owned by Ford and American company and the profit come back here. Same with Jaguar and many other brands that Ford owns. Look if we don't buy American who the hell will. We have got to stop selling out our country or we will eventually loose it. :glasses:
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ford no longer owns Jaguar and only part owns Mazda. and thats only so Ford can sell more over seas...Most American Car co's buy into a overseas Co so they can get more product over there to sell and market..
  10. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thanks for the update. :great: I still stand on buying American brands. I found this list on consumer reports FYI.

BMW owns: BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce
    Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati; Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep–20-percent stake
    Ford Motor Company owns: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo (for now), and still owns 13.4 percent of Mazda
    General Motors owns: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC. Also owns a controlling interest in Daewoo, as well as Opel and Vauxhall in Europe and Holden in Australia. (Pontiac to be discontinued)
    Honda owns: Honda, Acura
    Hyundai owns: Hyundai, Kia
    Tata Motors (India) owns: Jaguar and Land Rover
    Mazda (partially owned by Ford)

Mitsubishi
    Daimler AG owns: Mercedes-Benz and Smart
    Nissan owns: Nissan and Infiniti (Nissan is owned by Renault--France)
    Porsche owns: Porsche and a majority share in Volkswagen
    Subaru (A controlling interest of Subaru is owned by Toyota)

Suzuki
    Toyota Motor Company owns: Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, with a stake in Fuji Industries (Subaru’s parent company) and Isuzu
    Volkswagen owns: Audi, Volkswagen, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and overseas SEAT and Skoda.
    In formal negotiations to be sold:
    Hummer: Tengzhong (China)
    Saturn: Penske Automotive Group
    Saab: Koenigsegg (Sweden)