1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

AMI locking vs non-locking chrome fuel door

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by onelove, Jan 7, 2010.

1. onelove

onelove Rockstar

I bought one to put on my '05 silverado and it looked sweet but I have had a major problem since its gotten cold.

It's -15 to 15 degrees all the time here and it has snowed a lot so I'm spraying the truck odd constantly to keep the salt off. As a result, it freezes.

Last week when my tank was bone dry I broke the key off inside so I had to remove the entire door to fuel up.

I'm thinking of getting the AMI non-locking billet door. I think its a magnetized push open one.

Anyone have problems with that one? They are so expensive so I want to make sure I'm making a good buy.

Thanks!!
    Erica

2. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Hey there. I looked at the non locking one before i bought my locking one. They both are nice, the non is on a spring like device which is nice. Only thing you need to think about is if you have problems with people stealing gas in the areas you are in. I was going to go with the non and just get a locking gas cap but the locking gas caps tend to thow a code and turn on the light that the cap is off. Either way you'll make the right choice and keep your truck looking great like always.:great:

3. onelove

onelove Rockstar

Yes, people here DO steal fuel and that's why I got the locking one initially. We had our 500 gallon tank sucked dry. We live in the country.

I would rather keep the locking one but the freezing is a problem. I can't remove the entire thing every time I need diesel. I do keep allen wrenches in my truck though lol.

4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Honestly I think it was just bad luck that your key broke but at the sametime in the cold the metal does get a little brittle.