AMI locking vs non-locking chrome fuel door

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by onelove, Jan 7, 2010.

1. onelove

onelove Rockstar

I bought one to put on my '05 silverado and it looked sweet but I have had a major problem since its gotten cold.

It's -15 to 15 degrees all the time here and it has snowed a lot so I'm spraying the truck odd constantly to keep the salt off. As a result, it freezes.

Last week when my tank was bone dry I broke the key off inside so I had to remove the entire door to fuel up.

I'm thinking of getting the AMI non-locking billet door. I think its a magnetized push open one.

Anyone have problems with that one? They are so expensive so I want to make sure I'm making a good buy.

Thanks!!
    Erica

2. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Hey there. I looked at the non locking one before i bought my locking one. They both are nice, the non is on a spring like device which is nice. Only thing you need to think about is if you have problems with people stealing gas in the areas you are in. I was going to go with the non and just get a locking gas cap but the locking gas caps tend to thow a code and turn on the light that the cap is off. Either way you'll make the right choice and keep your truck looking great like always.:great:

3. onelove

onelove Rockstar

Yes, people here DO steal fuel and that's why I got the locking one initially. We had our 500 gallon tank sucked dry. We live in the country.

I would rather keep the locking one but the freezing is a problem. I can't remove the entire thing every time I need diesel. I do keep allen wrenches in my truck though lol.

4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Honestly I think it was just bad luck that your key broke but at the sametime in the cold the metal does get a little brittle.