GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

AMP inputs and controls???

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Mean_Green_95, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

Ok, so I've set up amps for bass, but I've never set up an amp for highs. Can anyone tell me how I should go about it.

The amp has three settings on the side. It has level, min-max, x-over, 40-130Hz, and bass boost, 0-12dB. Can anyone help me out here?

Forgive, it's my first time hooking up highs to an amp.
  2. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Your crossover (x-over) will depend on where you have your sub amp x-over at. Generally it is approx. 60-80hz. Bass boost should be zero as you do not want to put bass through your 6 1/2" mid bass unless you want to replace them sooner than you should ;) Min-max is also dependant on where you sub gain is. This is my suggestion for how to set up your system.

Turn BOTH amps to minimum.

Turn the volume on your deck to 3/4 volume. REMEMBER what number it is. This is important as this will be the highest you should ever turn it up to.

Then while it is at 3/4 on your deck, adjust the gain on your speaker amp first as this is where you are doing the actual listening and where you will hear the distortion first. Turn it up until you hear a little distortion and then back it off a little bit. Or, as loud as you'll ever want it. Which ever comes first.

The sub amp is next and the easiest, turn up the gain until it matches the output of your fronts or the loudest you'll want it or it distorts.

When I do sub amps, I always turn the sub output on the deck to the highest voltage output (not to be confused with any sort of bass boost or other crap that adds fake bass) and then set the gains. You then will have sub level control on your deck without the worry of nuking the sub because you can always back it off a bit depending on the music.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

Yes, your reply was helpful.

I already kind of knew you had said, I just wanted a conformation on everything. I hope to be installing everything maybe Friday and Saturday nights.

P.S.
    I have a new found respect for you mobile a/v guys. I've ran wires in several vehicles before, including through firewall boots, but running the new speaker wires through the door grommets was a beast. I was finally able to get the wires through using a long screw driver and electrical tape.
  4. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Solid stuff, that was an excellent post.