Amp sometimes works, sometimes doesn't?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jmanb, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jmanb

jmanb Rockstar

Hey everyone,

I bought a new amp and 10" sub for my truch and had it professionally installed. Everything worked great for a time and then one day the amp stopped working. Sometimes, after I had shut the truck off for several hours, it would work again but those times got further and further apart. Now, it mostly doesn't work. It didn't work for several weeks and then one day, it worked. It worked for about three restarts of the truck and then hasn't worked again for a couple of weeks.

This same thing happened in my last truck. Is this a common problem or is it just my luck? Is this how amps go bad?

Thanks in advance for any insight on how to correct this.

2. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Can you get to the amp?It sounds like it has a loose connection.Amps usually stop working all together and stink really bad when they die.

3. jmanb

jmanb Rockstar

It's under the passenger seat but I should be able to get at it. If there was a loose connection, wouldn't it cut in and out while you drove down the road? The interesting thing is that when it comes on, it stays on, no cutting out, until I turn the truck off then next time I start, it either works or doesn't (more on the doesn't side).

4. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Hmm never encountered a stinky blown amp but it does sound like a loose external connection.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What brand amp? Who installed it? Best Buy,Pro 12 Volt shop, Eta, When it works does it sound right? If the speaker is Blown or sending a wrong OHM it may turn the amp off till it feels right? Sounds weird but Have the speakers looked at also.. Then the wires could be a pinched one somewhere..

6. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Really?Out of the many I have had in my lifetime I have blow one and seen at least three that friends had blown and the one I blew filled the car with nasty smoke and they all probobly still smell like that burnt electronic smell.To the original poster you are probobly right but it is worth a try.

7. elee33

elee33 New Member

i have a similar issue in my car, the amp will turn on occasionally (not very often) however mine turned out to be just a loose power wire, is there a power light on your amp? it could also be an issue in your remote wire, that your head unit is not telling your amp to turn on sometimes

8. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

Try checking all of your wires and connections, i had a amp that would ground out when i tried to mount it to the cab, try unscrewing it from the floor and setting it on the seat. How long ago did you have it installed? have you talked to the shop to see if they will take a look at it for free?