Amp to power door speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Jcloud, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

Hi i am wanting to wire a 4 channel amp up to my door speakers. I was wondering if i could wire the amp up to my factory door speakers???(i believe there factory but idk) i just want to be able to turn it up louder and it to still be a crisp sound. i was thinking about getting a alpine 4-channel amp. Plus im also going to buy a headunit. i have a used small kicker mono amp. could that work?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The Kicker amp would not work. Mono Amps are designed for Subwoofers. They wont produce the same sound. It would be better to upgrade the door speakers when you amplify them. Factory speakers are rated at a lot lower RMS wattage then the aftermarkets.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

But your factory speakers might sound a bit better with a aftermarket radio with a built in Crossover.. But an amp giving 35-75 watts RMS added to the new speakers will sound better..

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I amplified my stock door speakers until i could get the components put in....they actually sounded really good and I almost didnt change em out....I put 50 watts to them..thats about as brave as i got with them!

So for a temporary measure it should be fine.