amplifier for kicker l7

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by blacksilverado07, Mar 2, 2008.

1. blacksilverado07

blacksilverado07 Rockstar

I have two 10" kicker L7 solo barics in my truck with a 3000 watt empire amp but the bass isnt hitting hard at all im not sure why i think its the amp. What amp would be good for my L7s.

2. ScReWs®lOoSe

ScReWs®lOoSe Rockstar

I also have two 10" kicker L7s in my truck and I am pushing them with an AUDISON Amp that pushes 1100watts continuous and it makes your eardrums feel funny - and I'm not pushing them to full power because I dont have the airspace to fully exploit the subs or amp. Although I still want to figure out how to stuff 12" inch subs down there.

If your amp is 3000watts and not enough, either:

a. you are deff and have no nerve endings to feel the bass

or

b. your amp sucks! The quality I mean.<--- No offence

I would be asking a few questions if I were you?

1. Who sold me the 3000watt amp to push my kicker L7's?

If you read the specks on that subwooffer on http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html you will see that it can only handle 600 watts RMS (continuous power). So needless to say 3000watts is overkill.

2. Do you have the right airspace?

I'm no insal or spec wizzard so you would have to ask a few Proffessional instalation people what the right amount of space is. And get second and third oppinions.

I just know if you dont have enough things wont sound right or be at full potential.

3. Did whoever instaled your system adjust the GAIN on the amp or adjust everything to sound right?

4. Are the audio controlls/ equilizer on your head unit adjusted properly?

Those are some of the things that you should check out before you go an replace anything. If it were me, I would be pretty pissed at the guy who allowed me to put 3000watts to subs that can only handle 1200watts combined.

My only other advice would be to really reserch your products before you buy them. For all stereo equipment you pretty much get what you pay for. Also pick companies that only make AMPS and not everything. That way things will be a little cheaper for the quality. Hope that helped a little. Good luck!

Oh, one question.. how did you mount your subs and where did you put them? I had to modify my back seats to get the right depth...

3. blacksilverado07

i have a single cab so i had to get a custom box built behind the seats with the amp in the middle of the 2 subs

4. ScReWs®lOoSe

ScReWs®lOoSe Rockstar

I would guess that you dont have the right airspace for at least one of the problems.

I lifted my back seats up an inch and a half, cut out the meterial undernieth to get a few more inches, then I had to have a custom fiberglass box built (fiberglass is way thinner than wood) so that I could get the minum airspace required. I'm no expert but I would bet $$$ that your box isnt big enough for those subs to hit to their full potential or what you may expect out of a sub.

Also, if your wires are not the right gauge then even if you have all the power in the world your speakers wont be able to use it. Big power means you need big sources (wires) to get that power where you want it. Think of it like this, how hard is it to drink out of a coffe straw in comarison to a McDonnalds straw? There is a big difference!

Third, my truck has about 2400watts total running off the battery. My dash lights and my headlights dim when I have it cranked up and bumping hard core. I actually need to run a dual battery set-up to keep the alternator from working so hard and burning out. You may not have the juice in your ride to power the 3000watts.

When I wanted to put my car stereo into my truck they said it couldnt be done. I obviously told them to "go fly a kite" (in similar words) and figured out how to do it myself. The facts are (and they suck) trucks dont have the space to produce a loud, loud, hard core, bass hitting system that annoyes the crap out of everyone but you (and me), unless you do some cutting and crazy custom work to make the space. Sometimes you just have to take what you got... Sorry if I had to be the barrer of bad news.

What is the model number or style of your AMP? I want to do a little reserch and see what it's really capable of and the quality of it... then I could probably give you a few moer ideas.

5. blacksilverado07

i actually have no idea all i know is that it is a empire amp when i bought it i had never even heard of that brand

6. ScReWs®lOoSe

ScReWs®lOoSe Rockstar

Your amp is runs at 3000watts at a 1ohm load. If your installers set it up to be a 2ohm or 4ohm load the power is going to be significantly less, even moreso because it's also getting split by two speakers.

Kicker L7's are made to be either 2ohm stable or you can get them at 1ohm stable... you might also want to find out which ones you have.

:sign0011:

7. blacksilverado07

i have 2 ohms