1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Amplifier/Subwoofer help?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by zachmilz, Sep 7, 2010.

1. zachmilz

zachmilz Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a Kenwood KFC-W3012 subwoofer in a custom box that I built for it and I recently got a new amp (BOSS CH700 2-Channel) (I know, BOSS, why bother? It was free and more powerful than my old amplifier.) and now the subwoofer seems like it's bottoming out or something. I have the subwoofer bridged so it's getting 400 watts RMS, but when it hits certain notes, it just sounds like it's clapping and it doesn't sound good. I've messed around with the configurations on the amplifier and my head unit multiple times, but had no hope fixing the problem. Is there a certain way that you think that I should tune the amplifier? The bass boost is around 1/3 right now, the input power is at full, and the frequency is around 50Hz. I'm baffled as to why this is happening. The amplifier was powering the subwoofer perfectly before I decided to toggle with the knobs on it and now I can't stand it. Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Got your +/- terminals correct?
  3. zachmilz

For the speaker wire? Yes, I do.

The RCA cables are red and black and the place where they plug in on the amp is white and red, so I've been doing Black-White and Red-Red, is that right? The wires aren't labeled.
  4. FergusonT

Yeah RCA's wouldnt matter....i had similar problem. I had a 10" sub in a box too big...and it wouldnt take much power for it to distort.
  5. zachmilz

I could see that happening, but I made my box to be right above 1.25 cubic feet and that's actually the exact amount of space recommended for my subwoofer.
  6. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Turn your gain down and adjust your Frequencies to a higher frequency on your amp. See if that fixes it.
  7. FergusonT

Yeah air space definitely not a problem.....so yeah..definitely try turning the gain down
  8. zachmilz

Yeah, that's what I just thought about before you posted it. The frequency seems about right right now, but I think that I just need to mess around with it more.
  9. zachmilz

I tried messing around with the frequency settings, but it's not helping. Does anyone have input?
  10. FergusonT

I guess what I do when something like this happens is just disconnect and reconnect everything from the amplifier. Double check connections at the subwoofer....sometimes I do that, I plug everything back in...turn it on..and everything works....then I never know what the real problem was, but the end result was everything working.