an idea i have

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Pete95Sierra, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the rocker panels under both doors are starting to rust on my truck :grrrrrr: i have a smallish hole about the size of a quarter that rusted through also. now here is my idea. im thinking im gonna bondo up that hole and repaint just the silver rocker panels on the truck (id get the whole thing painted but i cant afford it at the moment and am saving for a lift). then i plan to debadge the whole truck and take off the black plastic strip dpwn the side and get 08 style 2500 sierra badges for the sides and tailgates. i also plan to get a new fender flare as well to replace the broken one. i guess my real question is do you think this will look good debadged and rebadged with new ones??? and how much would paint be?? i plan to have my friend paint it who has painted before so i know it will come out fine (I hope).

2. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

if your like me you will debadge it and then love it so much with the clean look you wont want to put them back on, but if your not like me then yes i think new trim would be a nice touch! and if your friend has painted before then im sure he knows that the prep work is the most important part and should be fine, my buddy is currently repaint his car and is taking his sweet time on the prep work becuz he wants it to be perfect! we will want to see before and after pics of coarse :D

my truck started as a debadge then i decided to keep going with it, im not going to say what i did yet i want to finish the truck and then post pics up and maybe a ROTM entry, we shall see!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. raiderman8112

raiderman8112 Rockstar

i like the look of the trucks debadged, fortunatly enough for me mine came with no badges from the factory except for the silverado one on the tailgate. i have seen a couple trucks with my the 03-05 body style with the new badges and it just didnt look right to me atleast.

4. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I for one like the look of the new badges on older trucks. Sometimes I find debaged trucks just seem to plain. It works for some but not for others. I've seen a few trucks like mine debaged and it didn't do anything for me. I'm not sure how much the paint would be but since your not using a whole lot of paint then I'm sure your material wont be that much. Can you buy just a single fender flare or do you have to buy a whole other set?

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dont put bondo on the rust hole, all that'll do is promote more corrosion and hide the problem until you have lots of damage.

3 good ways to repair the problem:
    1- Remove the rocker panel and replace it with a replacement panel.
    2- Cut out the corrosion and piece in a panel the same size.
    3- Clean the corrosion and lead it in.

All three ways will cost a little more than bondo but they're permanent repairs and wont promote further hidden damage.
    Bondo will only hide the problem until it becomes so bad you'll be forced to replace the panel.

When you pull the badges and bump strips off plan for more corrosion under them.

Paint cost depends on what type and brand paint you buy and what your prep materials outlay is gonna be.

6. Pete95Sierra

can i take off the whole rocker panel?? i think it is all oe piece except for the little 4" wide panel way underneath.. i was going to cut out the rust and bondo up the hole. than i was going to use POR15 on the whole rocker panel which will be most of the silver. i think this will make a decent fix for a while. i just cant afford too much right now being still in college and im getting a lift this summer too. i just gotta get that rust out its killing me and i figure the POR will prevent any future rust as well. you can paint over POR 15 correct? and you know before and after pics will come. i plan to start this next week. oh i also have a duck blind camo headliner my brothers girlfriend will be installing for me soon too.

edit: oh and LMC truck sells individual fender flares for $100 a piece and ill just paint it myself. if i could afford a set of new ones i would get the xenon ones. they're awesome lookin

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the other thing is when you take those strips off your paint will be less faded under there and may look weird compared to the rest. :neutral:

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The whole rocker can be removed and replaced. Takes some cutting and welding tho.
    Bondo in a corrosion hole is never good, bondo holds moisture and will only allow more corrosion to form.
    Por-15 is good and can be painted over, you have to make sure you follow the directions and give it enough time to cure.
    I've seen a few people use Por-15 inside panels. Tap a hole on the back side of the panel in a hidden spot and spray Por-15 in, most of it settles at the bottom where you usually get most corrosion spots.

9. Pete95Sierra

ok thanks guys. and yea dan im afraid of that but i think if i detail it well it will look ok. hopefully next summer i will paint the whole truck as well

edit: the black strip is n the silver which is getting painted anyway

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  10. dominic

dominic New Member

I got on this forum because was having same problem with rocker panels started sanding them up today. Problem is they are rusting from the inside out yours probably are to. I don't have the cash right now to get it fixed either and cant weld. I was wondering if anyone new of a company that sells some kind of plastic covers like the fender flares but for your rockers then i could just cut out all the rust and hide the holes.