1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

And wow, did I ever screw up

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by grey7399, Nov 7, 2012.

1. grey7399

grey7399 New Member

I was in a rush and I took my 2007 surburban to a carwash. They accidentally put it in low 4 wheel drive. I was visiting my mother in another town an drove it home at 75mph that way. I got all the way home before I figured out wth was wrong with it. This was months ago and I really haven't noticed anything wrong with it but I was warned that all sorts of things could have gone wrong or might show up later. Anyone got a scary story for me about this?

But my real question is that I want to take the truck in for a real detail and I found the only place in our town that isn't a dealership. What kind of questions do I ask them?

Its a 2007 suburban, black on black from the factory. Its had water spots since I bought it. I mentioned in another post that it has some sort of flaking on the roof, might be wax, might be paint.

And what is my solution for a gas siphoning issue? I work retail at a popular old people store. I parked at the back of the lot to avoid door dingers, unfortunately that left me open to people attempting to siphon gas. I bought a locking cap, they destroyed it. Rather than risk them drilling in my tank (OMG) I just keep $10 - $20 in gas in the tank. However, they've spilt gas under the tank and the paint is jacked. I probably need to have it repainted and since its a 5 yr old black truck in AZ, the black may not match. BUT!!!! My question is, what do I do to protect whats left of the paint until I can afford to get the piece repainted or the whole truck?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Do you arm the alarm to try to scare them off from stealing the gas. Also for protecting the paint there are plastic protective films that you can cut and place under the fuel fill to protect the paint. Don't remember where I saw them online yesterday but might of been LMC or amazon, I know that they are really made for the door sill but most likely can be used on any painted surface.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I don't know how anyone could accidentally switch the truck into 4 low.

I'm also not sure how anyone could drive the truck at 75mph while in 4 low. The gear reduction, in the t-case (without looking it up) is around 3 to 1, this means, the engine would be turning at least 6,000 rpms. Again, without looking it up, I don't think the PCM will let the engine rev to 6k.

You may have had it in 4 hi, which is not so good either; but, the damage (if any) would be only in the t-case and the front diff.
  4. grey7399

grey7399 New Member

Two things I dislike about this truck are the controls that switch it from normal to 4 wheel or low 4 wheel drive. Its a roll knob. If they were wiping the dash back and forth, they simply switched it from one gear to another.

It didn't sound right or handle right the whole way home and I was scared to death. I thought that auto tow thing they used to pull it through the wash damaged something underneath. After it was auto washed, they hand washed it and dried it and simple detailed the inside. I really don't remember the RPMs at all. I was to far gone into panic mode. It wouldn't go in reverse - much and turning corners was impossible and the tires SCREAMED. I called our mechanic as soon as I could pull over. HE thought they put detail slippery stuff on the tires and told me to wash them with vinegar to get my grip back.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Ok, now I see how it could have happened, I thought only the outside was being washed. I have the same dash, and I can see if they were wiping with a cloth, how they could have turned the control knob. Thanks for clearing that up.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

keeping 10-20 in gas in it may help stop the thief, but your fuel pump in not going to like it. They are cooled by the fuel, so the less fuel in the tank = less cooling of the pump. you could try one of these http://www.gasbanditblocker.com/index.php . How the heck are they siphoning out of the tank? I tried it on my 05 yukon xl with 5 feet of hose, it was not long enough and I could not get it passed the bends.
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

Unless they changed it on the newer trucks, you can't put the truck in 4LO without putting the truck in neutral first. I know that on mine, if it isn't it cancels going into 4LO. If I was origininally in 2wd, it goes back to that. Since you have the turn knob, it would probably just go back to 4HI since that would be the nearest mode that isnt 4LO. As far as the handling, that is what happens when you drive in 4WD... you get wheel hop when you turn. On the bright side, as long as the wheels hop, it kind of minimizes the damage to the drivetrain because your tires lose traction rather than holding and making the differential and transfer case deal with all of that force.

I can't really advise anything about your paint or gas issues... that's never been a problem for me.

As far as the peeling on the roof goes, wax will wear gradually so peeling is most likely the clearcoat on the paint. I haven't heard of a lot of 2007s having clearcoat issues though.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

At the car wash they usually put the car in neutral so it can roll through the wash and past into the detail area and such.

But still it would be easy to tell if you were in low the truck handles slower with more torque and the motor runs much higher rpm to get to speed. I can't comprehend how you wouldn't notice the rpms being higher or just the sound of the motor. I can easily hear the difference in the truck when its in 4hi and 4lo and how different it is than 2hi. I look at the rpms my truck is running more often than the speedo.
  9. grey7399

grey7399 New Member

It sounded "off". Felt "off". The truck may have those abilities but I had never used them and didn't really think of them. The knob is in an odd place and I can't really see it. To top it off. The truck tells me everything EXCEPT - apparently - when its in alternate gears. gas is low. tire pressure is off. battery needs to be checked. etc. but it didn't tell me it was in 4 low and I figured it would have. You probably don't know it but maybe you've guessed it, I'm not a mechanically/vehically inclined person. All my info has been sorta second hand via boyfriends and my jobs in auto parts sales. AND this is the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it used in 2008 one year after it rolled off the assembly line.

Its our street vehicle. The pretty one, lol. We have 3 other trucks for off roading or trailing. I'm gonna go look at the readouts to see ...... yeah I don't see how I missed the rpm readout. its huge & center. chances are I didn't miss it (months ago) but no one knew what to make of it (hubby and a guy friend I called in a panic)

10. Billy D

Billy D New Member

I still don't think you would have been able to go 75 mph in 4 wheel low, I don't even think hitting that speed in that gearing would be possible. The engine would have been screaming, you would have know...and when you let off the gas you would have know from the thing being in such a low gear ratio.