1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Android Scanner App

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Revredneck, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

I just purchased an android tablet, and I've discovered an app that will read my truck's PCM data stream via a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the ALDL. The app I got is called Torque, and it works pretty well, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any others that might read more like a diagnostic scanner than a racing readout. I've only got about $30 invested in the app and bluetooth adapter, which is pretty good, but I'd like to find something a bit more comparable to a Tech 2. What do you have? How does it work?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

IPAD 3
    PLX wifi obd2 connector
    Dash Command App

$800.00 invested, I use it for my gauge cluster. It does the diagnostic thing too.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

sounds great...where did you buy the Bluetooth adapter from ??? thanks
    Brian from Canada
  4. NCN8ive

NCN8ive Rockstar 100 Posts

Rev, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for in an Android app, but the Torque app does have the capability to read fault codes from the ECU. There is an icon on the screen that displays when you first start it up to do that. You can also reset any codes you find, if you so desire.

Silver, I bought a PLX bluetooth adapter from Amazon.
  5. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Brian, I got my bluetooth adapter from Amazon. Here is the link.
    http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...Z9VC/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2VZTJP6N0Z6QL

So far, I am very happy with it, especially for the price.

- - - Updated - - -

N8iv, I know the torque app will read and reset codes, as well as give limited scanning data. Being a former GM service tech, I'm used to using a Tech 2, which gives live data for all sensors, and allows some control of certain outputs as well, such as power balance testing by selecting and "killing" individual injectors. I did find a scan plug in for torque, which expands the data a little. Just curious if there's something else that is more akin to the Tech 2.
    Thanks for your input.
  6. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

How much did that Tech 2 cost? You're not going to get something that complex, for anywhere close to $30. Many of the things the Tech 2 does that you're talking about require knowing the GM-specific proprietary signaling, for which the documentation (and licensing) is not cheap.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Snap On Verus is about the closest you will get to a Tech 2, and the Tech 2 is useless unless you have an insider into the GM dealer network for all of their updates. They make it private for a reason, I would have bought one buy now if that was the case. Brand new you can buy the GM Powerbook, Tech 2, Candi module for about $8,500 which isn't bad BUT the $2,000 a year subscription makes it real hard to swallow lol...
  8. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts