1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Annoying Click Coming From Behind Heating/Cooling Controls When A/C Is On...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wmkess, Mar 14, 2013.

1. wmkess

wmkess New Member

I noticed this back in the fall when it was warmer and was running the A/C but forgot about it over these colder months. What it is is just a loud click that comes from somewhere in the dash behind the cooling controls every 7-10 seconds while the A/C is on. What is this from? It's like it's sending a signal to the compressor to cut it off and on way too frequently, but I'm not even sure if anything is even happening when the click occurs.

It's not a huge deal but clicks, rattles, and other noises in my vehicles that others don't notice drive me crazy. In this case it's not too loud...I can't hear it when listening to the radio at my typical volume level... but it's easily heard at cruising speed with the volume really low so it is significant to overcome a little audio as well as cabin noise.

So am I just weird and this is typical or what? I'm guessing it's just me.

BTW: 2005 Silverado with the 5.3L and Dual Climate Control (all silverados have this though right?)
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts

It's the actuator for the blend door, mine's been doing the rattle for a couple of years. It gets worse over time and will cause your A/C to blow hot air while it is commanded to blow cold. I was quoted $175 plus labor at the dealer and that was cost price. I plan on having mine repaired before A/C season kicks in.
  3. wmkess

wmkess New Member

Appreciate the reply. I'll check out my repair manual and see if it mentions anything about that part/component. Let me know what it costs you if you get yours fixed in the near future.
  4. wmkess

wmkess New Member

Just wanted to bump this and add that I actually hear the sound even when the A/C is off now. Not sure if it's gotten louder or what has changed though for me to notice it now. With regards to the blend door, is that a tough fix for the do it yourselfer?
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

6. wmkess

wmkess New Member

Thanks Pikey! That is a very good write up.

Maybe someone else can chime in and help me decide which actuator may be giving me trouble.

*Edit* I do a have a scanner tool so I could test it that way. However, since mine is just making noises and hasn't yet blown the wrong blend of air, it may not read as being bad just yet.