1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. repley81

repley81 Member 1 Year

I've not all that smart in the tech area of vehicles, so I don't know what this AFM is. My questions are, does my truck have this, and how do you know if its not working right?

2. Buck442

Buck442 New Member

This is beyond unacceptable service by a company even more so one that was bailed out by tax payers dollars. I see lawsuits in very near future. I have 2009 Z71 with 5.3L with $67,800 miles on it which I purchased new Oct 2009. All was well until last saturday, came home from lake which is 5 mile drive starting running rough while in gear but not moving. RPM's danced up and down and the check engine light came on. Pop the hood check the oil and as everyone states shes not showing on dip stick. I have used the service oil indicator on the truck from day one, parked inside etc even had all service done at dealer veh was purchased from. Dealer today told me I have misfore on cyl 7 so they are goig to replace spark plug. They did not have part so would be a day. I explained that I had been on web and seen the issues that were exploding all over the forums on said problem, like it was no big deal to them. By replacing the plug that is only treating a symptom and not the cause of a much larger issue, but they said the truck would have clean bill of health after this. So I am at corssroads , start gathering petitions from numerous other GM ownmers with same issue or just trade it in and move on.....$40,000 truck only last little over 3 years and 69,000 miles......

3. kevrev42274

kevrev42274 New Member

This will not fix your problem. I have a 2010 with only 24,000 miles and is in the shop as we speak getting pistons and rings installed. My plugs have been changed 4 times. Your problem is it will need new valves and lifters, probably a camshaft and yes even pistons and rings. GM does not have a fix for this, they are only doing things to get you out of the warranty. I am dealing with GM directly and have filed a lemon law claim against them. I want a buyback so i can get rid of this lemon. I do not want to just trade it in as it will become someone else's headache. If GM does not step up I am considering a lawsuit myself. You should not have to pay 40,000 dollars for a truck and experience the problems everyone is having with these 5.3 with AFM engines. I also need to mention to you that my truck has been in the shop 7 times for the oil consumption, misfire problems. Changing the plugs will make it go away for 2-3,000 miles. Do not let your dealer get off the hook. They know what needs to be done so make them do it. I hope you have better luck than i have had.

4. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

Since my new 2013 has less than 1300 miles on the 5.3, I'm getting one of those Range Technology V8 AFM Eliminators asap. Seems like the best thing to do (1) if you're still underwarranty and don't want the hassle of having to fight the dealership SHOULD the engine screw up, or (2) don't want ANY trace that you had something hooked up to the OBDII port.

5. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

Let's be clear on a class action lawsuit. YOU WILL RECEIVE A COUPON FOR $500.00 FOR A NEW TRUCK. THE LAWYERS WILL RECEIVE MILLIONS IN FEES!

Be careful what you wish for.

6. kevrev42274

kevrev42274 New Member

What i wish is that i would have never traded my 2005 Toyota Tundra for the problem i have now. If only wishes could come true.

7. Red Rado

Red Rado Member

Just had mine into the dealer.. again this morning. 65328 miles on it and this is the third time for oil consumption. I guess I'm lucky on this visit. Only 2 quarts low and not completely void of oil which was the original issue that got me searching to see if this had happened to anyone else. At this point I believe my dealership is just delaying fixing anything until I have no warranty left. This time they told me to drive it twice the distance as they did before and then bring it back. I'm going to bring it back in when it's low regardless of far it's been driven. It takes minutes to check it and I need this expedited. I never thought I would ever say I'd never buy another Chevy.. but I am damn close.

8. Buck442

Buck442 New Member

I decided to trade mine in and I explained to the dealership that this truck will have issues down the road as result of the AFM malfuntions. They have no problem paying full trade in value and are aware of the potential mechanical issues. I am picking up a 2013 Crew Cab Z71 in silver Ice in the morning, from what I understand the motors were updated in 2011 so hoping the issue does not exist in my new 2013. Only had $2000 bucks left to pay it off but not rolling the dice as I fear in about 40,000 miles I will have major issues and cost thousands to fix after 100k warranty expires. Saying my Prayers for a long life on my new silverado.

9. Red Rado

Red Rado Member

This struck me as a little odd.. I got call yesterday (Sunday, dealership is closed) from the dealer I took my truck to for service. The person said they noticed I had been in for service the previous week and then began asking me for some basic info on my truck. I figured it was a followup call wanting me to rate their service dept. Nope, they wanted to know if I'd be interested in coming in and talking to a salesperson about trading in my truck for a new/newer vehicle this week some time. They have never called me at any other time I had my truck in for service or any other time. I explained the problem I have with my current truck and it was like I told them that the floor mats were dirty. According to them, no problem at all trading it in and getting a new one. I still don't know what to make of this call.

10. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

They just want to sell a new truck. If you could do it for a few thousand it might be worth it. But if it's several thousand dollars they are not doing you any favors IMHO.