1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tigerwitha88

tigerwitha88 New Member

Imo if your going to trade it in somewhere besides the dealership where you bought it is best to do it before its rebuilt. The rebuild will be on the carfax and will hurt the trade-in value some.
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Yikes!!
    I have been thinking about upgrading my 1998 Suburban-223,000 miles-runs great-and getting a 2004 or so
    fewer miles better brakes etc
    But this gives me pause??
    Any oil consumption on the 2002-2006 5.3?? before the AFM??
    My 98 runs great-brakes are my only really dislike about it
    Thanks
    Charlie
  3. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member

GM sells approximately 50,000 units (Silverado/Sierra) combined EACH AND EVERY MONTH. Tundra takes six months to sell that amount. There IS NOT A WIDESREAD OIL USAGE PROBLEM. How many guys come on the forums you are watching and post HOW HAPPY THEY ARE? Not too many because it's not why people come to forums. You either come on a forum to get advice or to Bit**.

Even if they have an issue, you have a 100K powertrain warranty to take care of it. And those who have posted have stated after a few oil consumption tests GM has stepped up to the plate and installed new baffles and/or new top end of the engine.

Not sure where your concern is. The proof is in the sales numbers....not what's posted on the Internet.
  4. GuyGene

GuyGene New Member

Yep, ck, right about that. I've been on internet since old Al invented it and surely understand and have considered all those facts you mentioned. Even if it's not widespread, it sure is a problem. I am one who is not at all brand loyal, hey, I'll switch in a NYC second. Well, I won't buy in a NYC second, but I'll surely change brands based on what I can learn and determine to be most reliable. Having said that, I do like GM.
  5. phoebeisis

The oil consumption problem-such as it is
    is more or less confined to the AFMs-meaning 2007 on??
    Is that correct??
    Sorry to be so focused on this-but I wasn't planning to upgrade any more than 2006-
    because that is my price range-$10,000 or less for Suburbans 2004-2006

Good point-forums are more or less for complaints.
    You get a biased view if you think FORUMS are the norm.
    Crude guess but I doubt even 1% 1 per 100 -of the AFMs have the oil consumption problem-
    we'll never know-GM Ford Dodge Toyota Nissan keep that sort of info in house
    In 2004-bought a Titan-nice truck great motor
    but on that forum we started keeping records of how many rear differentials were dying at very low miles-
    it was over 100 when I sold my Titan in 2007-and bought the 98 Suburban(because we were broke-(16,000-$2950=$13,050 we needed)
    Yeah the Modified Dana 40 had some "bad parts" "powdered metal etc" but the heat treatment probably wasn't done right-cheapo chinese or Indian parts I bet)-Nissan was dragging their feet-blaming owners etc
    fun truck but the Suburban TURNED OUT TO BE much more useful,MORE comfortable, better FE and UNDOUBTEDLY more reliable- heel of a lot cheaper too!!
    Yeah you can do much worse than a GM truck.
    I owned several Toyota trucks-very reliable too-and a 1980 D100 LONGBED 318- drivetrain was reliable-trim stuff was junk- crank windows froze shut-yeah rusted shut in just 3 years!!
    But I'm happy to see Dodge coming back-loved 1971 my 383 Cuda' so soft spot for Mopar
    Ford makes pretty decent stuff now-but i DON'T HAVE A SOFT SPOT FOR FORD.
    This Suburban has been so good-doubt I would leave GM-and only they make Suburbans (and Yukon XLs and Escalade ESVs)

In the 50's-60's 1 qt per 1000 miles would have been considered "normal"
    and you checked your oil EVERY TIME you filled up-the gas jockey checked for you-cleaned your windshield-checked coolant too.
    Charlie
  6. Red Rado

Red Rado Member

The oil consumption issue is confined to the 2007-2010 5.3L motors as far I can tell. I've heard they made all the changes to the motors starting with the 2011 models and haven't heard of anyone with that model year complaining of this problem. If it was just oil consumption that would be one thing but the collapsed lifters, fouled plugs, sensors, and increasingly poor mpgs are things you have to worry about with these motors that were never an issue decades ago and none are cheap or easy to replace. Compound that with the many trips to the dealer just to prove that you do indeed have this issue while you do more damage to the motor and more miles get used up on your warranty. These are all things that go into the decision to be a little less loyal to the GM badge.
  7. phoebeisis

Red Rado
    Thanks.
    Maybe I should just upgrade my 1998 brakes-and stick with it.
    It has a slow leak-some from valve cover grommets-and maybe a bit from where the oil pan meets the plastic timing chain cover-and might be losing a tiny bit of coolant
    but not much-
    It runs great gets good-21 mpg hy on long trips-AC is cold- comfortable
    yeah maybe I'll put $600 into dual piston caliper brakes-SSBC-
    and just maintain it-forget about the 5.3.
    In any case certainly will steer clear of the 2007-2011!

Besides I can get a NEW GOODWRENCH 5.7- new not rebuilt-for $2300 dropped curbside-or a GM PERFORMANCE 383 DROP IN STROKER- for $4800 curbside
    Yeah maybe I better just stick with the 98!
    Charlie
  8. hcapts

hcapts New Member

I have a 2011 Chevy Avalanche, I bought it new Love the truck, hate the engine, many issues in the past year with misfiring and check engine light comming on.
    Issues with Burning oil, Check engine light on. Dealer found a misfire in cylinder #1 and 7. Started with 39167 miles, I've been to the dealer 3 times they have done the following repairs:
    first visit 11/19/12 replaced spark plugs due to being fouled and dirty, cleared DTC's and replaced oil.
    Second visit - 3/8/13 miles 50639-- Check engine light on, running rough / Misfire - Dealer install SOP, verified - DOC 10-06-01-008I installed AFM oil defector and updated valve cover. Performed upper engine cleaning as outlined in document # 10-06-01-008I
    On 4/12/13 - Engine misfire check engine light on Miles 54699 - Dealer received fault codes -P0301, P0305, P0307. removed spark plugs, oil fouled , disassembled found excessive carbon on piston tops, ring lands and combustion chambers.
    installed new pistons, rings, bearings and all necessary gaskets. cleaned carbon off cylinder heads. replaced spark plugs. cleared fault codes.
    on 6/7/13 check engine light come on again, engine misfiring, pulled into service center, engine low on oil, filled oil. Engine making noise and still misfiring.

Is there anyone that has the same issue with this same issues and what is next for the dealer to replace. New Engine!!!

Any help would be appreciated in what to do next!
  9. phoebeisis

You folks are convincing me to upgrade the brakes
    keep my 1998 5.7-which runs great-and seems owner proof
    In a couple of years-when we get a few $1000 ahead-maybe upgrade to a 2004
    but definitely steer clear of the 2007 AFM

My 1998 brakes are pitiful-just checked the drums-shoes-plenty of wear left-
    Maybe I'll pay $148-get the EBC YELLOWSTUFF pads-probably a waste of $$ but worth a shot
    Charlie
  10. bearanddawn

bearanddawn New Member

VERY UNHAPPY WITH MY CHEVY Z71 4X4. Bought new 2008 bites the dust at 108k miles.

This is the 3rd chevy pick up I have bought brand new and may never buy another one, if I do not get some help from Chevy for a new motor $15,000.00. Its ridiculous to pay $38,00.00 in 2008 for a brand:grrrrrr: new pick up, that I have taken great care of, used synthetic oil (Mobil 1, which is recommended) and had it changed a lot of times at 3000 miles, to be on the safe side. A lifter went out, then they want:grrrrrr: to replace all the lifters, and cam, after the engine was tore down, mechanic found that cam bearing is grooved and two pistons do not look they have been fired on. I am not a mechanic and liked :grrrrrr::grrrrrr:Chevy, it never even crossed my mind to buy another brand of vehicle. My husband called many dealerships and its a major problem, loosing an engine. WHY ISNT CHEVROLET DOING SOMETHING ABOUT :grrrrrr:IT? I work hard for my money and do not have $15,000.00 for a new motor. The service manager told me it maybe due to low oil pressure. Two years ago, the oil pressure gauge quit working, took it in to get :grrrrrr:fixed and it wasn't right, I took it back and was told not to worry about it, I didn't. So now what to do, it would be my word against the service mgr. at the dealership and he is not going to remember that conversation after two years. I am just sick over this, I had planned on keeping this vehicle for many more years. :grrrrrr: I really like the pickup.