1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

The most recent TSB states the dealer nolonger has to do the oil consumption test. If an owner believes he has a problem, they are just supposed to perform the repairs as outlined by GM.
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

Alright...thats good cuz i dont wanna deal with the test
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

ChevyBoy2009,

I am sorry to hear that you have to visit your dealership for a vehicle issue. Please us know who your visit went and if we can be of any assistance.

Thank you,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  4. ChevyBoy2009

Visit went good...replaced left valve cover and cleaned cylinders...hopefully it works out...intake was soaked in oil...they tipped it over and oil poured out i guess
  5. Hex92

Hex92 New Member

Yet another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust

I bought my 2007 Silverado in the summer of 2011 with ~58,000 miles on it. Within 3000 miles the check oil light came on (2 quarts low). Did some searches online and found out about the AFM issue so I immediately requested an oil consumption test since my warranty was set to expire in March of 2012.

After a couple of test cycles they did the 'oil deflector fix' in March of 2012. Didn't work. Started burning oil again within a couple of months. So we started the consumption test again. In March of 2013 they put new pistons and rings on it. I drove 2500 miles and it was 2 quarts low. So I took it back into the dealership.

I thought I was really going to have to fight since my warranty had expired. The service manager stepped up to the plate and said he would get me a new engine. :great: My truck has been sitting at the dealership for the last 2.5 weeks since they had to pull the pistons to take pictures. They called earlier today to say that the new engine had arrived.

Sure hope the new engine lasts longer than the old engine.
  6. tigerwitha88

tigerwitha88 New Member

Sad to say it won't fix it, it will have to have a lower end rebuild.
  7. ChevyBoy2009

Why do you say that,have proof to back up your statement?...it started this issue within last couple months,i caught it quick...i have my hopes up that it fixed it,if not ill take it back in...if im still having issues within the next year(powertrain warrenty is up then)ill get back up into a dmax

- - - Updated - - -

Im also going to get a programmer and delete AFM and keep it off for good
  8. Hex92

Hex92 New Member

This mindset makes no sense to me. "I bought a product for a substantial amount of money. That product was faulty. They don't know how to fix it...so I'll buy another, more expensive, product from the same company."

I guarantee, if my replacement engine develops the same problem, I will never purchase another GM product for as long as I live.
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Problems like this-are not uncommon across all makes
    Honda-for 5-6 years had problems with their 5 speed AT when mated with V-6- it failed
    Ford-huge problems with their 2004 6.0 Powerstroke
    Dodge-laughable problems with their ATs in minivans-went on for 8-10 years-they would fail at 60,000 miles-time after time
    Toyota has oil "sludge" problems-mainly V-6-went on for YEARS.
    Nissan Titan-the modified Dana 44 rear ends-failed and failed at low miles-10,000 20,0000

GM had the piston slap like noise with the early year 5.3's-build up of carbon above top ring
    With newish designs-changes-especially when pushing the envelop to get mpg-you will have problems that take a while to fix-and retro fits fixes -usually aren't as effective as the "fix" fix.

So going to a Duramax-does make sense-why go to another brand-the Duramax reliable
    and remember the oil consumption problem-isn't universal-and I suspect verhy few engines actually fail-
    since if you KNOW you are using oil- YOU CHECK AND FILL FREQUENTLY
    Yes- PITA but in the "old days" excessive use and leaks-was common-
    which was why service stations checked you oil every time you fill up.
    One qt per 500 miles-would have been common in 50's 60's

I would just give my dealer a chance to fix it.
  10. Hex92

Hex92 New Member

If it was just the 2007 and 2008 5.3s I would be willing to give Chevy a pass. But if the 2013 engine that replaced my 2007 engine fails due to the same problem....not acceptable. They have had at least 4 years to identify and fix the issue.

I really hope the have.

I love the way my truck looks, it's comfortable and it drives great. On the downside it gets awful gas mileage (14.7 avg for me) and it burns oil like crazy. I can live with the low mpg, I didn't expect a 4x4 crew cab to sip gas -- but burning oil like a truck from the 50s or 60s....I don't think so.