1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

There is something to be said for just dropping in a crate motor and doing things to it out of the gate to ensure problems down the road are minimized instead of playing game with chasing problems on a motor already in the vehicle. Especially out of warranty.
  2. Roachtuc

Roachtuc New Member

2007 Yukon + Two Lifters Collapsed = 16 New Lifters + New Cam = $3,000 ($4,700 if I let the dealer do it) = a very disappointed and broke GM customer.

At what point does GM step in and recall what is obviously a huge problem. Considering this is a leading topic on most forums related to the 5.3L with AFM, this is poor customer care. I hate to leave the GM buying community, but if I can't trust my truck to get at least 150K without a rebuild and GM is turning its back, there is little choice.
  3. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Roach-how many miles on the truck?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would be sure to get a range technologies AFM delete. I wonder how much companies are charging for a rebuilt 5.3L AFM motor. I am pretty sure that I can get a new complete 5.3L for my 2005 for around $4500. I think I will inquire just because I am curious.
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Yeah that really sucks.. I feel that a truck should at least be warrantied for as long as they allow you to pay for it like 7 years or 70k who wants to be paying 500+ a month for a truck and have to put money into major repairs on top of it.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This certainly sucks for you folks.
    My used 98 suburban-225,500 miles-so durable-despite leaking oil and coolant-I wouldn't be scared to drive it to AZ again-3000 miles round trip-energizer bunny truck

All manufacturers have chronic problems-this AFM one-no doubt sucks
    We just got our 2006 Prius back-yeah my other car IS a Prius
    84,500 miles 7 years 10 1/2 months-traction battery DIED-no shoot-
    44 days INSIDE the warranty.I would be out $3500 if it had happened 45 days later.
    Yeah I would be screaming on every prius hybrid forum-and this FORUM if this had happened on 4-23-2014
    you guys have reason to be hot-I would try to work with GM USA CUSTOMER SERVICE- bypass dealer to some extent-get some rep you can maintain a relationship with-ask for some HELP- $$$- discount etc- be persistent polite
    Yeah it sucks-motors are supposed to last 200,000 miles now-not 1965 when 80,000 miles was high miles rebuild time
  7. Roachtuc

Roachtuc New Member

I got 120K out of the original lifters... so I guess I should consider myself lucky compared to some of the posts I've seen. But I expect a $40K automobile that's well taken care of to last.
  8. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

What a mess! SO glad I have the 4.8 cast iron block engine!