1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Spoke to the dealership today I am down 3/4 Qt in 1500 mi from Dealer oil change.. I am going in after work Fri and see what they say..:grrrrrr: Not happy filling my driveway with BLUE smoke every morning..
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

sorry you are having all these issues man.

i hope the dealer will work with you.

Alex
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Enkei are you sure you don't have piston slap?? Eating oil is a sign the rings are shot??
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Nope no extra noise That I can hear... And as I said one day as I was driving at about 70mph it went from 4-8 cyl and all I saw was Blue smoke shield in the back of the truck... :grrrrrr:
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I see you have a ECM tune, is it in any possible that the tune can be to blame for your 5.3 engine problems?
  6. Enkeiavalanche

I've been keeping it at Stock for a while. right now the only thing I use it for is reseting the Codes so I can have my remote start
  7. hblock72

hblock72 New Member

Steve:
    To answer your questions the truck has had a pretty easy life for a truck. It's main use is my daily commuter vehicle which consists of a 50 mile round trip 50% interstate and 50% rural 2 lane roads. It has never been used in any type of a commercial setting. I do have a 3500 lb boat I pull occasionaly, but less than 500 miles a year. I do all of my own oil changes so I don't have proof, but they're always done within a tank of gas from the time the oil life monitor gets to zero. Air filter is changed as needed. I changed the trans fluid at 75k miles, and recently did a brake job.
  8. greywolf11

greywolf11 New Member

All this AFM stuff is so discouraging. It seems like about any GM board you visit you won't look far until you see a post related to oil consumption, lifter failure, etc on the newer 5.3's. I had three different GMT-800's all with the 5.3 and never saw any oil usage, or any engine problems. The current truck is a 2011 with 24K and has the 5.3 with AFM. I've known about the AFM issues before I even purchased the truck, so I've been very conscious of keeping an eye on the oil level. About 3-4 months ago I decided I was going to buy a tuner and cut off the AFM before I saw a problem. Just before the Christmas holiday I took a short 100 mile trip and lost about 1/2 quart of oil. Checked for leaks....none. I got the tuner for Christmas and cut off the AFM. I decided to run 1/2 a can of Seafoam through the oil/crankcase for about 500 miles and then I used the rest of the Seafoam through the brake booster line to clean the intake and top end. I changed the oil and filter and filled with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.

So far so good and it doesn't appear to be using a few hundred miles into this oil change.

I hate the pins and needles feeling of waiting to see. I know I have tons of warranty, but with only 24K miles I should be seeing any usage in my opinion. I'm going to keep a close eye on her, and if what I saw was some sort of fluke or warning, I plan on using Pennzoil Ultra and it's cleaning power to keep the rings clean, and I may run some Seafoam through the crankcase just before oil changes in the future. Guess time will tell.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Well they looked And at 1232 miles I am down 3/4 Qt They told me to come back at 1800 So I said Oh kay..
  10. hblock72

hblock72 New Member

Just as a follow up question: Has this problem been fixed in the newer model years or is it too soon to tell? Just thinking about all of my future options, one of them being an engine swap, but curious if I'd be at risk of having the same issues.