Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Not sure..It has showed up in trucks with 40k - 90k

2. Enkeiavalanche

Ok Update time.. Came home from work today went in the house to check my mail (Got a check coming from someone on here.. ) 15 mins later I say hey lets go check the oil.. dip stick in and out and it says 0!!!! 2 times and nothing on the stick.. :grrrrrr: Went over to the dealership and started talking it's now been 1500 miles since they did the oil change..
    They made me wait 20 mins so they could check it.. And they said Thats it.. It goes in Mon to put the screen or new shield in by the Valves.. Then they top off the oil and we see what happens after a few miles.. If it happens again Rings and pistons.. Not happy.....!!

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

not good dude!

i think im for sure getting the AFM turned off when I get the custom tune done.

Alex

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Is AFM the same as DOD?? Because they make a DOD delete kit for $400, and you get rid of it forever. It's not just tuning, It involves replacing the valley cover among other things?? Just curious.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That sucks. How low was it? I know you said that it did not show up on the stick, but how many quarts did it take to show up? I would be concerned that now you not only have a truck burning oil but it now has been driven low on oil. I wonder how the plugs look now? I think that most the reports say that #7 fouls out first.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Well we will see Mon. I did tell them I want a truck for my loaner and he told me they have a New Tahoe for me.. I will tell them to look at the plugs..

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do you have this covered under warranty Enkei?? If not your in for a big surprise, a guy I work with just had his Denali in for the same thing. They replaced pistons and rings, at the tune of $3,000.

8. Enkeiavalanche

Yes it is....:grrrrrr: If not the truck would have Gone through the window of the dealership..No Lie!! Then a Trip up to GM and INTO the OFFICE of the Pres of GM...

9. Enkeiavalanche

Well it's been at the dealership for 3 day.. I'm going today after work.. Let see what they did and how long it lasts. I told them to check out the plugs and I want them to replace the 02 Sensor that went bad AFTER this all started..

- - - Updated - - -

Ok stopped by today and it's not ready yet they want to do the Carbon Clean out of the motor first as per the TSB.. So we will see.. We got some Snow coming and I want my truck back here in my Driveway

10. Enkeiavalanche

Well.. Got the truck back today in my driveway.. Photo-0435 (2).jpg Here is a list of what they did..

(1) New Rocker Arm cover # 12570427
    (2) Cleaner # 88861803 My guess is that it's the Carbon Cleaner They told me they Cleaned the whole motor.
    (3) New Oil 5w30 6 Qt's
    (4) Deflector # 12639759 I think they said it is in the Oil pan they did remove it..
    (5) Gasket # 12612350

So we will see what happens after a few days..