Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hblock72, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How many miles since your last change? Did the dealer do it?

2. Red Rado

Red Rado Member

It's been ~1500 miles and the dealer changed the oil. I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to check it. When I called them today they said it would take a half hour or so since it would need to cool down before they could check it. Hopefully that means they will drain it to measure the amount lost.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

They let it settle for a bit before they check it.. Did you have any Blue smoke?

4. Red Rado

Red Rado Member

No smoke. The only sign of anything wrong was the loud ticking noise. That caused me to check the oil and I am glad that I did. My daily commute is 120 miles so without oil my engine could have easily blown up before I had any other indication of a problem.

5. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Read earlier in the thread that the 6.2s in the Denalis have AFM, that is incorrect, it's not a feature until 2014...looking into a 13 Denali right now, AFM=not possible on the 6.2 for this year and older....

6. msw007

msw007 New Member

THIS IS A GM DESIGN FLAW!
    THIS IS GOING TO BE MORE APPARENT IN THE COMING MONTHS AS THESE 2007-2009 MODEL YEARS START CREEPING UP ON THE 75K-85K SWEET SPOT MILEAGE.
    GM IS TRYING TO HIDE THE FACT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM AND HAVE A BAND-AID SOLUTION.
    YOU CANNOT CHECK IT WITHOUT A COMPLETE TEAR DOWN OF THE MOTOR.
    IF YOU HAVE THE 5.3L MOTOR WITH AFM I WISH YOU LUCK.
    MY STORY IS BELOW:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...(Stabilitrak-Traction-Control-Service-Lights)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i used my tuner to turn my afm off. O F F off. V8 mode 24/7 now.

and its staying that way.

Alex

8. LEBARONCARS

LEBARONCARS New Member

OH WOW what did I buy , problems I guess now 2009 silverado ltz with 5.3 ho motor with the fuel management
    only 20,000 miles on it . first chev truck nightmare ??

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Well you'll have 60,000-70,000 miles until any problem may arise and by then GM hopefully will have a fix. Or you could turn the AFM off with a tuner.

10. LEBARONCARS

LEBARONCARS New Member

Alex have a 2009 with a 5.3 ho with fuel management , what tuner did you buy to turn this awfull
    thing off . I believe that by turning the cylinders off they are running dry , causes wear anyway
    hope you can help love this truck for looks and power

Garry