1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another '99 K2500 Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by abnsigo, Nov 28, 2008.

1. abnsigo

abnsigo New Member

I'm also another one considering purchasing a 3/4 ton burb. I have found a '99 K2500 with a 350. The truck is a base model and has no carpet and has vinyl interior. It does have a/c and 4wd which is all I really wanted. I like the base model but am concerned with the engine. I tow an old Jeep that is pretty heavy as it's been purpose built for rock crawling. My wife has an '05 Z71 burb that I've been towing it with and it does pretty well but I wanted my own truck. This truck will also be my daily driver. It was a fleet vehicle and looks to be in REALLY good condition in and out. Asking price is $4,900. Can y'all give some guidance on the engine and it's ability to tow a heavy load. Also comment on the asking price. Oh, it has 95,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Looks like y'all have a great site.
  2. abnsigo

abnsigo New Member

Forgot to mention my wife's 05 Z71 is the best vehicle we've owned. No problems at all and we've got almost 60k on it.
  3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I had a '99 3/4 ton crew cab swb pick up with the 350 in it. I used it to pull a 28' fifth wheel. When I went to a 33' 5th wheel I went to a diesel due to needing extra power. It did a good job on the first trailer, but I wouldn't trust it to pull the 33' one. If you aren't doing real heavy duty towing, the 350 should do well.
  4. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

it will pull just about anything within reason, you'll have no problems just maybe install a trans cooler
  5. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

not to mention 4900 is a steal on a 99 4wd
  6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: agreed it should have no problem, and will be a good d.d. ! :great:

the price seems right!

how about a some pics of your Jeep!

Let us know what you choose!
  7. abnsigo

abnsigo New Member

Thanks for the replies. I've sent the guy an email requesting additional pics. The burb looks great from the 9 pics he posted. Last vehicle I bought online was a good deal too so hopefully this works out.

As for the Jeep, it's a '73 CJ5 stretched to 101" wheelbase, spooled 9" rear with chromo axle shafts, locked D44 front with chromo axle shafts, 5.13 gears...blah blah blah...fuel injected 304. It runs pretty well and keeps me entertained.

Here is a picture: [​IMG]
  8. abnsigo

abnsigo New Member

Thanks...just saw you are from Deer Park. My wife went to DP HS. She graduated in '89. I'm originally from Houston but can't really claim a place anymore as we've moved around a bit. Next stop is Louisiana next June.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The GM small block is the most popular engine ever produced and it has an acceptable power range for towing. Although Suburban's are heavy vehicles the 350 engine does a good job of moving them down the road even with a heavy load behind it.
    I've owned a couple different Suburbans with the 350 that were used to tow Jeep and Toyota crawlers I've owned over the years, sometimes they've felt a little underpowered but this usually occurs in the high mountain areas when I've got the truck really loaded down, the solution is to drive a little slower.
    Last year we towed 2 Toyotas on a 38' trailer to Colorado and back with a 99 2500/350 Suburban, we werent the fastest truck on the grades but it did ok, we were able to stow all our camping gear out of the rain and snow, we had a warm dry place to sleep at night, and we had entertainmant on the DVD system. The truck got an average of 14mpg for the trip.
    With the popularity of the 350 you can add a wide variety of power/mileage enhancing items to improve towing performance.
    I use a 97 Suburban K2500 with a 454 for a tow vehicle right now, I'd love to exchange the big block for a 350 with a little better mileage since I use the truck around town once in a while, but the cost of the swap isnt feasable at this time with fuel prices where they are.
    I think this Suburban would be a great deal that you'll be very happy with.
  10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ill be graduating next year:lol:

That is a good looking buggy, I love Jeeps!!

Show us some of the pics of the sub!

Good Luck! :great: