1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

another abs thread

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jordanr1987, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 Rockstar

another abs thread - take $300 gamble?

03 silverado 4.8L v8 extended cab

i think im starting to get that weird abs issue
    at slow speeds(coming to a stop, or going through a parking lot) i can feel the abs kick in and the pedal pulse
    the truck has 209,000kms (130,000 miles)

i took it to one shop to change wheel bearing and told him about the abs issue and he did a scan and no abs codes showed up
    the check engine light is on for a previous issue with the common evap leak

should i just take it to a chevy dealer and tell them to clean the abs sensors? would they just charge a half hour labour? or sell me new abs sensors?

or tell them to check wheel bearings/hub(s)? i would hate to replace two hubs at once because its so expensive

anyone else have the abs issue and what did you do to fix it?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. thomurec

thomurec New Member

My truck did the same thing. But I scanned mine at work and it was a wheel speed sensor. bout 100 bucks at parts store.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You need more than a code reader to accurately fix this. Take it to a shop with a high end scan tool. They can drive the truck and watch all the speed sensors at once.
  4. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 Rockstar

well an update:

issue is still happening
    called a dealership for service and told them about 05068C -- FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CORROSION and about the 'Bulletin No.: 03-05-25-007D'
    they quoted $294+ tax to clean the sensors etc

if both sensors break it would be $700 to replace them both

but he said its uncommon for them to break

should i take the $300 gamble to fix my abs issue?
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Honestly the cleaning thing sounds like a total waste of money, are you able to change the hubs yourself because as stated earlier that hub is about $100 at the parts store. All you need is a 32mm axle nut socket, and a 1/2" impact to get it off??

BTW-You don't need a high end scanner to check wheel speed sensors, all you do is unplug the harness going to each wheel speed sensor one at a time. Take an ohms meter to the harness, and check the resistance between terminal A + B. Then use an appropriate resistor and insert it into the harness connector, If your light goes out then you have found the bad wheel sensor. Only costs $0.02!!!

These are vehicles I have done like this
    2001 S10- 230 ohms
    2001 Oldsmobile Alero- 150 ohms
    1997 Firebird- 150 ohms
  6. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 Rockstar

i live in canada so prices are higher
    ac delco has the abs speed sensor for $85 for just the cable
    partsource (autozone) has wheel hubs for $250 each

jegs has the speed sensor for 61.99

'discount car parts' has front hub assemblies:
    timken with sensor for 177
    not even sure if its the right one?
    heres the link:
    http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=9972+4294962954+1588+11921+4294963605

7. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 Rockstar

well i found someone local who will replace the hub assembly (that comes with a new sensor) for $220 each (part and labour included)
    i told him i could replace both and he said he'll borrow a scanner when i come in and try to determine which sensor is actually faulty to try and save me some money

220 for a new hub assembly vs a dealership cleaning old sensors for $249 :glasses:
  8. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Do not think sensor if it was would have more issues . They are in the same circuit as vss .. speedo sensor .. tps.. brake light switch so on.
    You would be getting a light for sure. Do this stomp and stomp hard on the brakes.. see if it helps.
  9. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Company van has same problem and is in the shop(dealer) today. Will let you know what they claim to be the problem when it gets fixed.
  10. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 Rockstar

i try to do that and no lights ever come on it just keeps engaging until i take foot off brake and re apply brakes(as it takes longer to stop with the abs engaging)

thanks
    i told my dealer about the abs TSB and the service advisor said they would clean my sensors for 249 + tax and said theres a small chance of sensors breaking, and if they did break it would be 700+ to replace sensors (and id guess there would be an extremely good chance of the sensors breaking so i pay more money)
    so i found someone else who will just install a whole new bearing hub assembly which comes with a new sensor (truck has 210,800kms almost 131,000 miles on the odometer)