1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another HID question

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Pikey, Jan 11, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am considering putting in the 5000k HID kit that I found on a site that @reggiecab2000 recommended. I would like a 4300K kit but the site does not offer one and I don't want to go to a site that is crap to buy one. Do I just buy the kit and the battery harness? My remote starter flickers the headlights for a second when it starts. I know that this is not good for HID ballasts. Any suggestions to help with this issue? The site asks for bulb size, will the bulb mount into my factory housings without modifications? Anything else I need to know?? Thanks
  2. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

Are you putting them in the 2005 or the 95??

I've had them in both my 96 and my 2000 (nbs) All I purchased was the bulbs and the ballasts.. I was actually able to use the same kit for both, except I left the old kit in the suburban for the new owner since I was purchasing Fogs as well for the 2000.

And yes, the bulb size stays the same whether you're using halogens or HIDs.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, whether its the 95 or the 05, Only do low beams. unless you do alot of backroad driving and will be using high beams for more than just 'flashing' to tell someone they can cross, or turn in front of you. HID's take a few seconds to warm up to its pointless unless you will be using them for longer periods of time. Also, if you do 'flash' people, when your headlights return to the low beam setting, the one furthest from the battery sometimes will not come back on. To get it back on if it comes out, shut the lights off for a few seconds, or put it on high beam for a few seconds and return it to low beam. Usually gets them back on.

Oh, and for the part that it flashed for your remote starter, that shouldn't be a problem. As you probably realize, when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position, your head lights turn on, and as soon as you crank it, they turn off until the engine is running. (I think anyway) and that usually isn't a problem...

Sorry, I'm all over the place, I was responding in between customer as work, which I realize now is a bad idea. hahah.
  3. Pikey

I am putting them in the 2005.
  4. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

So, your 2005 can be tricky, your electrical system is reduced voltage a the headlights because of your DRL system and the canbus multiplex system that GM has on their trucks. There are two ways to get HID lights to function properly on your truck, the first is simple, pull your DRL fuse in your truck. Your lights will get the right current and voltage. The second is the preferred way, when you order your kit, order a relay harness for each kit. If you do all lights including fogs, you'll need three relay harnesses, with these harnesses you'll get an isolated power source from your battery that is triggered by the respective light circuit for each kit.

Second, I would go with a company called Longshot lighting. Mike, the owner, is an awesome dude, his kits are affordable, he has some new technology for quick bright HIDs so you don't have annoying warm up times, he offers relay harnesses, he is the ONLY company that offers a true AC ballast with his kits which provides you with a much more stable and efficient ballast. He also offers 5000k kits on special orders and his customer service is excellent.

The flickering with your headlines is a factory setting, when you crank your truck, your accessory feeds all go to zero voltage through crank to relieve stress on the start with for your battery. The flickering IS bad for HID ballasts but there is nothing you can do about that. Some ballasts will last longer than others, depends if it was constructed on a Friday or not lol :).
  5. Pikey

@zigger215, concerning the relay that you are talking about, are you talking about the harness that runs from the battery to the ballast? If so, I planned on getting that anyway. If I do it I will only be doing my low beams.
  6. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

Perfect. That's exactly what I was talking about.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=50750]zigger215[/MENTION] - Nice reference for Longshot Lighting. I checked out the site and it looks good and prices seem sane. I saw no relay harnesses on the site, though -- not possible to add them. Colour choices seem a little limited on kits, too.
  8. Pikey

I sent long shot an email. I asked about the harness and the availability of 4300k and 5000k in the "Fast Bright" Model.
    @zigger215 said that he does those colors on special order. I don't see why it would be an issue with the colors. He would just take the 6000k bulbs out of the box and put 4300K in their place. I am assuming that the "fast Bright" is just a different type of ballast. I could be wrong.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I hate giving my credit card number to humans since humans are more easily hacked (i.e. social engineering) and generally less trustworthy than computers, these days. Companies that don't allow you to make purchases in an online cart which masks your credit card number and processes your payment without human interaction generally lose my business for both security and convenience reasons, as it's inconvenient to have to call to place a special order and it's inherently more risky to have to give a human your credit card number (who is listening? what did they do with it? what stops them from using it, themselves?).

@zigger215 should probably share that type of feedback with Longshot Lighting. I'd have already bought a couple things, today, if I could have done it online ... but when I noticed things we KNOW he sells absent from the website I did an about face. Business lost.
  10. Pikey

I did not even look into the payment options on that site. Good to know though. I just dealt with my Credit card being hacked and the A$$ spending $5000 in cash back bonus at lands end. Their prices at longshot are good compared to others. Again, though how mush is the harness I want? I also don't like to wait for things after I order and they say that items don't ship for 1.5-2 weeks. I assume that the company is not a full time place (owner has another job) I say this because I emailed him 5 hours ago and have no response. Most places respond in an hour or so.

- - - Updated - - -

OK! I looked into payment options and you can pay with paypal or credit card on the site.