1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another knock

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2002silverado5.3, May 25, 2013.

1. 2002silverado5.3

2002silverado5.3 New Member

Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could get an answer on a common problem with the nbs trucks. I have had two 2002 chevy silverados (4.8/5.3) and on start up sometimes it will make a knock sound. I'm not talking about piston slap, just a one time knock. Every nbs I've seen does it but I was wondering If anyone has found a solution? My truck has 160000 on it so its not to old. Thanks for any help
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my 2000 5.3L has no knocking sounds on start up but I have been using mobil 1 synthetic since the vehicle had 10,ooomi on it. now at 140,000mi still a quiet engine in warm weather . when cold and in drive for the first 2 minutes ,I do get some piston slap under 30 deg f and sitting for a few hours .

IF I allow the engine to run for 3 minutes before driving there is no noises ..

What oil and filters are you using ... ?
  3. 2002silverado5.3

I believe Fram with conventional

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Fram with conventional

- - - Updated - - -

I know someone has to know what I'm talking about. 8 out of 10 do it
  4. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

My 2002 6.0 does the same thing on start up. I run mobil 1 synthetic. I do how ever use fram filter, but will be switching to ac delco next oil change. I have 166,000 on the truck.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

you answered your own question with the oil products used.

I do not use or recommend any Fram or conventional oil in these GM engines.
  6. 2002silverado5.3

As rav said he has the same problem while using synthetic an I got a chance to get under the truck last night while changing u joint and getting rid of the infamous chevy stop and go clunk and its not farm it's the white with blue letter one. Can't think of the name had oil changed 1000 miles ago