Another oil leak thread...'01 6.0 in a 2500 Suburban. Oil explosion under hood?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chipjumper, Apr 15, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. chipjumper

chipjumper New Member

I've had this truck for about four months now. It appears to have the classic LS series rear main seal leak (rear cover leak) but only drips a regular amount over a long period of time. There might be a little leak around the oil filter or maybe even from the rear oil pressure sender on the drivers side but nothing remarkable. Here is where things get fun. Today I was driving down the freeway at about 2100rpms (70mph). Just before I exited the freeway I started to smell burning oil; this is the first time I've ever smelled anything like this in this truck. I proceeded to drive about two miles and then I pulled over. I checked under the hood and saw what appeared to be an "oil explosion" on the passenger side of the engine. It is hard to show in the photo I took but you can see there is already some sort of small oil leak around the passenger side valve cover gasket but I have never even witnessed active weeping. Today's "explosion" shows what appears to be a high pressure spray that is upward from somewhere at the middle of the upper passenger side of the engine as I can see results on the bottom of the hood in that area. I've visually inspected the truck even on a hoist and I can't figure out where this is coming from. There is no evidence that it is coming from that rear oil pressure sensor as it is completely dry around the proximity of that area on the drivers side. Everything is concentrated on the right side of the engine in the proximity of the valve cover. The oil dipstick doesn't appear to be the source either. It kind of looks like engine oil shot straight up from the A/C receiver drier. Is there anything around that area that is under pressure? I've ran the engine for several minutes and even played with the throttle and I'm unable to duplicate this.

engine_pass_side.jpg