1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another programmer question...towing

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by gatormike69, Mar 26, 2012.

1. gatormike69

gatormike69 Rockstar 100 Posts

2010 Silverado 1500 Z71 4X4 5.3 w/six speed auto and 3.73 rear .
    Moving cross country in a couple months, have not used any programmers to reset for bigger tires. Plan on towing wife's Camaro. Will a program help with gas mileage or/and adjust shift points so it will be better on my Silvy towing and moving from sea level to 6000 feet? Will it be a permanent change, make a difference when not towing?

Thanks for any input y'all may be able to provide.
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most of the hand held programmers out there do have settings for economy fuel mileage. They will also have a setting for towing and performance. From what I understand your best bet is a Diablew Tune. you can contact him under the tuner section of this site.
  3. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Actually in the process of tuning my truck with a Diablew tune (trinity Programmer). Can't say too much yet, but I did notice a change in the shift points with the 87 Octane tune. The truck's shifting is a lot more aggressive and firm that normal after the tune. As of right now (maybe tuned for a few days at this point) I can say that there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response! There was a tune for Fuel economy as well, but I haven't played with it yet.
    As for the tune being permanent, you can always reinstall the stock tune if you need to. Once you push the tune from the programmer, it's pretty much in until you decide to change it again! Good luck, and let us know how that move goes! Did a similar move myself from Monterey to Vegas, same rig set up as well it seems:lol:! Good luck!
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Drake's response is spot-on. You write the tune to the truck and it remains until you undo it. Tuners are tied to the truck by the VIN, by the way ... so for the duration a tune is written to the truck the tuner can't be used on a different vehicle (unless the tuner supports more than one vehicle, of course).
  5. gatormike69

Thanks, I'll get in touch with Diablew and see what I can get.
  6. gatormike69

Ordered my Intune and custom tune today. Get it in a few days and will be able to put in the change in tire size , so the wife doesn't get any more speeding tickets. (I Hope) She said she was only going fifty in a 45 zone, with the offset which I compensate for without thinking the actual speed would have been about 52. So she got popped and I paid for it. I told her if the speed limit was 45, she should have been going 45.:neutral:
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

once we get your tune done, then you'll still have to watch your speed, because you're going to get up to speeds even quicker... ;)