GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Another question about gears

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kinson33, Jan 15, 2013.

1. kinson33

kinson33 New Member

Have an 02 z71

1900 RPM at 70mph

285/75r16 setup (32.8" tire)

Do I still have the stock 3.73's in there?

Sorry if its been answered before, did a few searches.
  2. wackoaboutgm

wackoaboutgm New Member

Look on the inside of your glove box for the code list. If you have the GT4 code , its got 3.73 gears.

- - - Updated - - -

Look on the inside of your glove box for the code list. If you have the GT4 code , its got 3.73 gears.
  3. kinson33

kinson33 New Member

I know the codes, wanted to know what RPMs people have with bigger tires/gears.

And, if 1900RPM tells me that the previous owner left the gears stock after the lift and tires.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Yes, you do.

I have aftermarket 4.56 gears and am running 34.3" tires. I run ~2300rpm's at 70. With my short gears 70mph is just outside my sweet spot. 50-65 is where my best mpg is with these gears and tires.
  5. kinson33

kinson33 New Member

Thank you.

Any reccomendations on places to buy r&p sets? Summit always seems reasonable in price.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

You could also check East Coast Gear Supply. They happen to be local to me so I bought from them AND had them do the installation work since gear patterning isn't a skill I possess. I'm running Nitro gears based on the recommendation from ECGS. When I mentioned Yukon gears they had some not-so-good things to say about them.

As these guys do gear work regularly AND they warrant their work for 5 years, I believe they made their recommendation and comments based on solid experience. They were willing to put in any gears I wanted, by the way. (i.e. They pushed nothing on/at me and merely recommended a manufacturer based on my diff and the ratio I wanted.)

I dealt with Chase when there. I originally thought he was just a knowlegdeable sales person but it turned out he's the owner. It was refreshing to see an owner present in his shop. He drives a lifted Cherokee that rolls on 37's -- some insane work to push those puppies, so he's an enthusiast, too.