Another question about gears

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kinson33, Jan 15, 2013.

1. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Have an 02 z71

1900 RPM at 70mph

285/75r16 setup (32.8" tire)

Do I still have the stock 3.73's in there?

Sorry if its been answered before, did a few searches.

2. wackoaboutgm

wackoaboutgm New Member

Look on the inside of your glove box for the code list. If you have the GT4 code , its got 3.73 gears.

- - - Updated - - -

Look on the inside of your glove box for the code list. If you have the GT4 code , its got 3.73 gears.

3. kinson33

I know the codes, wanted to know what RPMs people have with bigger tires/gears.

And, if 1900RPM tells me that the previous owner left the gears stock after the lift and tires.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, you do.

I have aftermarket 4.56 gears and am running 34.3" tires. I run ~2300rpm's at 70. With my short gears 70mph is just outside my sweet spot. 50-65 is where my best mpg is with these gears and tires.

5. kinson33

Thank you.

Any reccomendations on places to buy r&p sets? Summit always seems reasonable in price.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You could also check East Coast Gear Supply. They happen to be local to me so I bought from them AND had them do the installation work since gear patterning isn't a skill I possess. I'm running Nitro gears based on the recommendation from ECGS. When I mentioned Yukon gears they had some not-so-good things to say about them.

As these guys do gear work regularly AND they warrant their work for 5 years, I believe they made their recommendation and comments based on solid experience. They were willing to put in any gears I wanted, by the way. (i.e. They pushed nothing on/at me and merely recommended a manufacturer based on my diff and the ratio I wanted.)

I dealt with Chase when there. I originally thought he was just a knowlegdeable sales person but it turned out he's the owner. It was refreshing to see an owner present in his shop. He drives a lifted Cherokee that rolls on 37's -- some insane work to push those puppies, so he's an enthusiast, too.