1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Another Request For Cam Information

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Goldie, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am considering adding a cam to my 4.3L engine. A company by the name of Camquest (www.camquest.com) offers one that is advertised for "economy, torque, and mild performance gain". I'd like feedback from members experience with the company and results if you have used one of their cams. Any other recommendations are welcome.

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

COMP Cams makes one heck of a lot of cam shafts. As far as quality of machining goes, you shouldn't have any problems if you go with a COMP cam.

You mostly just need to figure out what grind you want for your engine, and pick the numbers that match what you want, or come up with some numbers and see if they will do a custom grind with your numbers. Picking good numbers is very hard though, as a lot of external factors will affect how well the cam performs, including headers, exhaust, intake, ignition, etc…

A mild cam with a grind designed to help boost low end torque though, in a stock engine, sounds like it would be fine. More low end torque is really what you want in a truck, as it will help with launching and getting up to speed, and help improve fuel economy a bit, depending on how much torque you gain, and how the torque curve is affected by the cam.

3. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Since I've never messed with cams it sound like I've got a lot work to do. At their site they have a form you fill out to give them a lot of information. However they are very slow responding.