1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Spark Plug Question

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Goldie, Jan 16, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Goldie

Goldie New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The original plugs in my 07 4.3L GMC engine are AC Delco 41-993's (double platnum). I seached the info here at the site and the consensus seems to be to stick with OEM iridium plugs. My question is would I be better off staying with the double platnum's or will I be better off with the iridiums. I hoping the iridiums will give somewhat better performance?
  2. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member 100 Posts

I put in iridiums last spring. I noticed a better sound, better pickup/pep from a start and slightly better fuel economy. I have no firm numbers for you or anything but I did notice a couple more Miles per gallon. However, there were NGK plugs in before I changed them.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You would want to go with the A/C Iridium Tip Plugs and the reason is.....Iridium Tip Spark Plugs are the latest evolution in High Performance Plugs. The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than Platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. As a result, the Iridium Plugs have a minimum service life of 100,000 miles (service life varies with individual driving conditions.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. daddytech

daddytech New Member 100 Posts

I started Using E3 plugs in my 99 tahoe over a year ago and Instantly noticed a HUGE difference in performance and mileage. I know this doesn't answer your question about the irridium vs. Platinum / double platinum but that's my success story. They (depending on the plugs you have / get) may cost about the same or a little more per plug but the noticable difference makes it worth it to me and i have only lost 1 plug in all that time when i flooded my engine out with my own stupidity trying to run 100% E85 through my system to save on escalating gas prices. worked great for a few days but that's another story. aside from my own foul ups i have managed to not lose a single plug in 2 years now running those in both my wife's 98 suburban or my 99 tahoe.
  5. Goldie

Thanks for the info. It is a great help. I did try the E3 plugs and they worked great for about 26-27,000 mile then I started to get misfires with them. Sure wish the would have lasted!
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The Vortec Engine's.....Run and Preform Better when using A/C Delco Plugs.......In some cases staying with Factory OEM Parts is the way go and this is One of those Cases.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. Goldie

Again, thanks, I guess I've learned the hard way about plugs. I'll stay with AC Delco's.
  8. krazyjhawk

krazyjhawk New Member

I know this is a way late response to the post. But after some research I discovered that NGK makes AC Delcos plugs... And the Delco Iridium is comparable to NGK's standard Iridium, but NGK makes a Laser Iridium that is better plug. So anybody browsing replacement plugs, take that into consideration. I went with the NGK laser Iridium in my 04 Tahoe 5.3 and love it.
  9. Skippy

Skippy Member 100 Posts

LOL way late? ~2 years is a bit more than late. *Grin* Good info though!
  10. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

Chevy engines LOOOOOVE NGKs
    especially if you upgraded the ignition. even a simple coil upgrade.
    NGKs, man. i no longer run anything else.