1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another truck break-in! GRRRRRR!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've been driving a 2011 Chevy Silverado as a work truck for the past couple of weeks and it's been great.

Until tonight that is, someone popped the lock (and the locks/windows of at least 4 other vehicles) at the Garden Ridge in Grand Prairie, Texas. The cops are great, thanks officer Fulton! But they got my NEW GPS and also my work bag that I've had for about 10 years that had all of my current medicine, my glasses, and who knows what else. I know I had a ton of papers in there, mostly work related, but it might be some personal stuff in there.

Cops said that they hit two or three other places, but Garden Ridge has some very high-quality cameras outside. Guess what, they have some sort of policy where they didn't let the police see copies of the camera recording until the morning! I was like, WHAT???? That's pretty absurd, there might be a chance that they could spot the vehicle and catch them if they had just a 20 or 30 minute head start if they're clearly on the camera going through like four or five vehicles like they did. I'm sorry, I'm going to complain to Garden Ridge corporate about that.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Didnt they get in your Trail Blazer while you were at the Golden Corral over there a few months back?
    I'd better knock on wood but I've never had a problem over there.
    The Harley Dealer has some good outside cameras too, they arent pricks about sharing the video right away either.
  3. ChevyFan

Thanks, I will call the Harley Place to see if they will pull their tape from that night, I hope they still have it.

If so, then I'll give them a free plug on here! :)

I THOUGHT it was at Golden Corral, but it was at home. Golden Corral walked me into the backroom right then and we watched the tape together. I really think they went above and beyond.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

The Longhorn harley shop is closed today, all of the rest of them say that they don't have HD video, so it can't pick up license plates. We'll see what the Harley shop says.
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Maybe Garden Ridge has that delayed viewing policy, because they want to peruse the videos first & make sure it hasn't caught any of their married C.E.O.s fraternizing with any of the hot secretarys. lol... I'm with you, I think the policy STINKS because they might have been able to catch those mutts if it had been available for viewing by the police right away!!
  5. ChevyFan

Wow, the female manager at Northern Tool and Equipment, right next to Garden Ridge, was like "we can't give out any information on our security system... I can give it to a decective."

If I was scoping the place out, I doubt if I would call up and ask on the specs on their cameras. Her response should have been, "yeah, we have the best cameras in the world, we capture people all of the time! If someone flips a quarter in the parking lot, we can freeze the image and see if it lands heads or tails!"

Anyhow, I'll see what they say.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

The detective said that the patrol guys ARE catching criminals THE SAME NIGHT if they can get this information. Wal-mart rocks for security. You're just about the most protected anywhere at a Wal-Mart, even in the hood. They have patrol agents in the lots at all times, marked and unmarked. They bring in the police watchtowers that are manned many times of the year. Their cameras are great morning, noon and night. They let the police in to view them pretty quickly after being notified and the police can even read licence plates.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

They had one of the manned towers behind the Italian rest. next to Chuck E Cheese but I'm not sure when they moved it away.
  7. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, Steve. That is really unfortunate. Did you have anything that was stolen locked in a console/glovebox that had a separate lock? Just curious about how well those things actually work once the criminal is in the vehicle already (i.e.- do they spend the time trying to rip it open or take what they can get to more easily and then move on to the next vehicle?).

Anyway, I've never seen these manned towers. What is that all about?
  8. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Wow manned patrols at wally world, not up here sadly, though the crime problems are a bit lower though they do have awsome cameras... And its just not your luck when it comes to break ins..
    I work Security and we have a TON of cameras that are recording etc, We have them playing all the time, though watching them is hard to do with all the other things going on in our office. (this isnt the kind of security job where you are wearing a uniform etc, more for regulations etc) but i have had the fun of going back and looking at a camera that was at a facility 100 miles away and had to look thru 14 hours of footage to try and find a hit and run incident on an employees car..
  9. ChevyFan

The GPS that are:

- Garmin Nuvi 1305T (not 100% sure about that - I may have taken a photo of the serial number, looking for that)
    - Pulse Livescribe Smartpen 4GB with USB docking port - Serial Number is 2594161105924 (REWARD IF FOUND!)
    - iPod input connector - blue
    - Black leather shoulder bag
    - Rx Eyeglasses (pretty old)
    - Rx meda (expensive to replace!!!)
    - Huge amount of work papers that don't mean anything except to me that I have to re-do the work!

So that's it, I'll re-post if I find the Garmin Nuvi serial number. If you buy the digital pen, then they will track the IP address if you plug it in anywhere and they will report back to me and the police with that IP address.

By the way, the guys at Longhorn Harley Davidson in Grand Prairie are AWESOME, they're looking at the tapes, but not sure what they can find.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Well, the thing about a recording is that I know I was in the store for about 45 minutes and I have a receipt that tells me when I checked out, so we can simply roll back until I arrive and then roll forward until the break-in occurs. HAD they SIMPLY LET THE POLICE LOOK AT THE TAPES THAT NIGHT (or me for that matter) we could have driven around until we found that truck ... a late model Ford F150 with very bright HID headlights. Then called police to come take a look.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Just out of curiosity, would anyone out there be interested in using a website that allowed for them to store their serial numbers in a private account for all of your valuables? Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a website like that, maybe tie it into facebook.
  10. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

oh man that sucks! got my truck broken into. we have cameras all around my house since we live in the woods. showed the tap to the cops. they said they couldnt do anything about it... i saw the truck, and the 2 people who did it on the tape and i knew who they were too! cops said cuz i didnt get the plate they cant do anything.... but i could! haha. lets just say i got my stuff back