1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anti theft radio

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by whatzleft, Sep 16, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. whatzleft

whatzleft New Member

I have a 04 Silverado with the factory radio. I have just found out that this radio has to be reset at the stealership if it was to lose power, such as disconnecting the battery. I have never heard of this, always had the code for any of my other anti thft radios, but I guess it is what it is. My question is this. Can I take a 9 volt battery, hook it up to a accessory plug and back feed it through my accessory plug outlet to keep my memory functions alive? Someone told me about this, but wanted to check here to see if anybody has tried this or if it works. Don't really see any danger in trying it as long as the truck battery is disconnected. I think having to take this to the stealership to reset the radio is a total rip-off!!!! They want 40 bucks to re-activate the radio if it has a power loss. So if I have to change my battery it's going to cost me 40 bucks!!!! What was wrong with giving out the code so we could enter it ourselves. Sheeeesh, it's only a darn radio!!!! :grrrrrr:
  2. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member 100 Posts

on my 04 you can pull the battery out and put a new one in or whatever it is youre doing and hook it back up without any problems.first thing i did on it when i bought it was swap out the batteries.even radio sations were still preset.from what i understand the only time you have to take it to the dealership for the code is if the actual radio is pulled out and unplugged.and then plugged back up
  3. Bluewater

Bluewater New Member

battery

Right, I just changed the battery in my 03 and it all worked fine after hookup.
  4. whatzleft

whatzleft New Member

cool, they didn't tell me that when I called the dealership. That works for me, and makes sense really. thanks guys.
  5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

BTW, if u have to change your battery, just leave the truck running while u change it, your alternator will keep your truck running.