1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

antifreeze leak

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Brent0644, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Brent0644

Brent0644 New Member

I have an antifreeze leak in my 1999 chevy silverado. I have looked underneath for a trail and under the hood for one. I checked the oil to see if there was any kind of milky look to it or if any water came out with it and no luck. it has been about a year since it started and just recently has it started to get worse but i still cant find any clues to where it is leaking. Someone suggested a sealant you put in your system and others say that it will just clog pumps and cause more problems. any ideas?
  2. mehoff400

mehoff400 New Member

could be your water pump going out...before they go out they start leaking and it would just burn off on the engine and you wouldn't see a leak when you let the truck sit
  3. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

I agree with the water pump. If you havent had it replaced within like 60,000 miles i beleive it is, then you'll need to get it replaced. My grandpa (who didn't take care of his van) had a wobbly, old water pump that stopped working one day and it basicly melted the engine. His antifreeze leaked too.
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

How to pinpoint a coolant leak

You need to isolate the location of the leak. Front, back or top of the engine. For the front of the engine, the water pump is the likely source. Intake or heater hose is common at the rear of the engine.

Buy or borrow a cooling system pressure tester. With this you can pressurize the system and pinpoint the leak. About $70 from several online sources.

[​IMG]
  5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

depends does it have the 5.7 or the 5.3
    with the 5.7 i would say its 50/50 intake or water pump
    5.3 i would bet on water pump