GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Antifreeze shooting out exhaust manifold??

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jayfire, Feb 8, 2010.

1. jayfire

jayfire New Member

I have a 99 vortec 350 that is blowing a big smoke screen. I just filled the radiator up with 2 gallons of anitfreeze and after 10 min I seen a steady stream of coolant coming from the passenger side exhaust manifold collector. Does that sound more like a head gasket or intake gasket problem?
    Thanks
  2. Stealth

Stealth New Member

What tipped you off to this problem? did you try driving it and then the smoke came? And are you sure it's the antifreeze coming out, and not some other unnoticed problem? Just fishing for more information
  3. jayfire

jayfire New Member

It pushes out a big cloud of smoke at idle and even bigger over 1500 rpms. I topped of the radiator and ran it for a couple minutes and noticed a puddle under the pass side. I could see all the antifreeze in a nice little stream coming out of the collector. I just wanted to know if all that coolant is getting into the exhaust from the intake or the head. Thanks
  4. Dr Len

Dr Len New Member

Blown Head Gasket
  5. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete New Member

yup :grrrrrr:
  6. Aubio

Aubio New Member

I just rebuilt my 350 and started it today and its doing the same thing except the antifreeze is coming out the exhaust. all the head gaskets are brand new. first 30 seconds on them today when i started it.
  7. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy New Member

When an intake is leaking the antifreeze will go into the crankcase (oil), when the headgasket is leaking it will go into the combustion chamber (piston top) and be blown out the exhaust.
  8. mateospeed

mateospeed New Member

do a compression check on the cylinders on the passenger side. Most likely, you'll find that one or more is low. If so, you've got a bad head gasket. If not, look for the intake mani gasket. Usually it won't leak into the cylinders, but it is possible. More likely a head gasket, though.
    -Matt
  9. judsteele

judsteele New Member

hope u didnt put dexcool back in it.i have been telling any body that will listen to me about that type of anti freeze and how bad it is for our motors and gaskets!!!!!! just my 2cents
  10. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 New Member

Before you go pulling off the heads, your describing a common problem with Chevy's. The 5.7 or 5.3 very seldom have head gasket problems. I have repaired close to 40 vehicles with leaking anti-freeze problems. It is typically on the passenger side of the engine, either the front or back water jacket seal between the intake and heads. If you have never had issues of the engine overheating in the past, I'm pretty sure you don't have a head gasket problem. Are you still running the orange anti-freeze in your vehicle? If you are, there is a possiblity you'll have to replace the intake itself becasue the corrosion caused by the anti-freeze. Then again you may get by with just replacing the intake gasket.
  11. mateospeed

mateospeed New Member

Very good points. Unless you've severely overheated the engine, the likelihood that you've ruined the head gaskets is very low. The likelihood that you have a bad intake mani gasket is, however, very good. I'd at least start there, since you'll have to pull off the intake either way you go!

-Matt
  12. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

Like stated previously. If antifreeze is getting into your oil you have a bad intake gasket. I had this problem in my 1997 Malibu becuase of that great coolant called DEXCOOL, it ate away at the LIM gasket and cuased a big old mess. Check your oil level if its real high the coolant is in with the oil. You can sometimes smell the DEXCOOL as well.

Again this is assuming your still running DEXCOOL in your engine. If you do proceed with changing the gaskets. see if they have came out with a revised intakes gaskets, I know they did this for the 3100 and 3400 V6s they are rubber and metal gaskets, then just rubber that came from the factory, and make sure to completely flush the old coolant out before putting in new. I dont know if the same applies to the V8s.

For the Malibu I bought my new gaskets from Flepro, if that help narrows a sreach down.
  13. cpon2009

cpon2009 New Member

If you got coolant in your exhaust then there is a major possiblity of a cracked or warped head
  14. Aubio

Aubio New Member

Well that's what I thought but as it turns out I finially got around to taking the manifolds off and there was no water coming from either side. I drove the truck around a bit when I was putting it in the shop and the water got into the cadaletic converter from the first blown head gasket. Thanks for the suggestionsī—