1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Antifreeze smell under hood but no visable leak

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by snowd, Oct 13, 2010.

1. snowd

snowd New Member

Ok guys this is what I have; I picked this truck up at an auction a few weeks ago, it has 156,000 miles on it but it runs great. I'm noticing an antifreeze smell from under the hood & I can't seem to find any visable leaks. It does have the red coolant in it, here's the list of stuff I looked at trying to figure this out:

Starts and warms up fine (stays just under 210), heater works fine too.
    Pass floor dry
    No apparent antifreeze smell in exhaust
    Oil looks normal (oil pressure is at 40 at idle)

I've read that the 2001 - 2006 5.3's have head problems but considering mine's a 1999 I don't think this is the issue (at least I hope not). Any thoughts?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well you may have a faulty Radiator cap, also there is a vent (hence possible bad cap) also if your not using coolant that is where i would start.
    I did have a 2002 that had a clamp fail, and had a slow leak, till i found the broken clamp.
  3. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I have had a radiator leak that was small enough that the coolant wasn't dripping but once it was hot it would begin to release steam. That's why i could smell it but not see it. might want to try a SMALL amount of stop leak.
  4. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had the same thing happen but mine was the water pump gasket.
  5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree with murdog94. It's most likely your radiator cap.
  6. snowd

snowd New Member

Thanks guys, I'll start with replacing the coolant recovery tank cap as recommended and report back in a few days. Thanks
  7. kinglt1

kinglt1 Member

if thats not the problem check the waterpump... the pump has a small weep hole in the side facing the block.