1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

antilock brake help

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by merril j, Jun 17, 2009.

1. merril j

merril j New Member

hey new to this forum. I'm trying to get my father-in-laws van figured out. He has a 1993 chevy g 20 van, that when i give it throttle, the antilock brake light comes on and the van looses all power as if the antilock brakes are engaging. i pulled the rear drums off and found that the linings are down to metal. i have new chevy parts on order but was wondering if this could cause the brakes to engage. any thoughts and response would be a great help.
  2. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. I would check and see if you're getting any error codes because I can't see worn rear brakes causing that to happen but the warning may come on alerting that there is a problem in the braking system. You may also have a defective anti lock brake module, but as far as the truck losing power, I can't help you there.
  3. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

this was a problem on my 96 blazer my abs light came on when driving but I didnt lose power like in your case. Mine turned out to just be a computer issue, took it to my local mechanic, he hooked it up and punched in a few codes and I was on my way with no issues.