antilock brake help

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by merril j, Jun 17, 2009.

1. merril j

merril j New Member

hey new to this forum. I'm trying to get my father-in-laws van figured out. He has a 1993 chevy g 20 van, that when i give it throttle, the antilock brake light comes on and the van looses all power as if the antilock brakes are engaging. i pulled the rear drums off and found that the linings are down to metal. i have new chevy parts on order but was wondering if this could cause the brakes to engage. any thoughts and response would be a great help.

2. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. I would check and see if you're getting any error codes because I can't see worn rear brakes causing that to happen but the warning may come on alerting that there is a problem in the braking system. You may also have a defective anti lock brake module, but as far as the truck losing power, I can't help you there.

3. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

this was a problem on my 96 blazer my abs light came on when driving but I didnt lose power like in your case. Mine turned out to just be a computer issue, took it to my local mechanic, he hooked it up and punched in a few codes and I was on my way with no issues.