Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any Computer Nerds, HELP!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Kady, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

So, my sister got a ton of viruses on her laptop. I offered to look at it for her. I'm no genius when it comes to computers, but i can hold my own... I finally found her Recovery CD, and and reinstalled the OS. It seemed to do the trick because everything that wasn't working correctly is now working fine... The only thing is, I can't connect to the internet. In the Device Manager, There's nothing under network adapters, And "network adapters" is not even listed... How do I solve this?
  2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What OS is the laptop running? Did you boot into safe mode accidentally? Did the virus morph into a physical being and rip out your NIC? Two of those are legit questions. I'll let you pick which two.. :)
  3. Kady

Its on Windows Vista... I don't think I booted it in safe mode... :)
  4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you trying to connect wireless or wired? For future reference I could have told you how to get rid of the viruses yourself and it is free and easy. If it is a wireless setup then you need your passkey in the router settings to set up a new connection. Also, some if not all Laptops have a physical switch for the internet connectivity and if it got switched off that will stop you from connecting. I can help you if you need me to. Just PM me and I will do what I can. :glasses:
  5. Kady

They laptop was not functioning properly... I couldn't even open any normal programs or any of the system tools. Its was pretty bad, so I told I was gonna get rid of everything and start fresh.

Before I rebooted it, I was able to get on the internet (Connecting Wirelessly) to my home network. After rebooting, it doesn't recognize my network, or any other that I know are in the neighborhood. Its acting as if I has no internal router. The first thing I checked was to see if I accidentally hit the WIFI switch, but it was on. Its says I need to install the hardware and insure the proper drivers are installed... I don't know where to go from here.
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you installed windows from the recovery disk, the drivers for your network card (nic) should be on the CD/DVD for both wired and wireless. Now most of us know that Windows Vista was one of the 2 versions of windows to avoid due to it behaving 10% of the time and failing 90% of the time.

I would take the make, model and google search that, along with "windows vista network driver" and see what comes up. If it is a Dell, Thinkpad, or HP, they are usually good about keeping the latest version of the drivers on their support sites, you will just have to go digging for them.

Once you find them, toss them on a thumb drive. Usually these drivers are less than 50mb unless they are part of some larger package so a 2GB thumb drive for $6 should be enough and then take the thumb drive to her computer and copy them over and install them.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What type of inet connection is this? Direct, something like sbcglobal, wireless network?
  8. Kady

Wireless network...

- - - Updated - - -

Believe it or not, I've never had a problem with my Vista... But anyway. It is a dell, Iand yesterday went on their website, to drivers and downloads, put the files on a thumb drive, and switch them over.. I couldn't get them to work, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong... And I used the CD that came with the computer to reinstall windows..
  9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The file that you downloaded from dell's website, was it an exe or an msi if it was a compressed file, you can use a compression program like Winzip to un compress the files and then right click my computer and go to properties. Then click on the button for device manager and see that the wireless card has a warning next to it. If you right click it and press "update driver"; you can then tell it to search the thumb drive, hard drive or internet for the driver.
  10. Kady

It was an exe. When I go to device manager, it doesn't even show anything for the network adapters... that's what the problem is..