Any El Camino owners/lovers on this site?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by buckmeister2, Feb 25, 2014.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

is there any part of this site applicable to el camino's? I am interested in learning more about them.

Jim

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Much like the rest of the automotive world the poor El Camino is forgotten here to.
    El Camino's and their GMC cousin the Sprint or Caballero, depending on year, dont have much following here either.
    Ive found more info and parts normally by visiting Chevelle or Malibu sites since they shared more in common with them than the truck line.
    Ive owned a bunch of El Caminos, at one time they were cheaper and easier to find than Chevelles, not so any more. They shared many similar parts so sourcing anything from the doors forward could be found on a Chevelle or Malibu, behind the doors was a different story, nothing the same, LMC does carry some parts now but its still a serious hunting trip to get most parts.
    To clarify the 59/60 model was based on the Chevrolet Brookwood sedan delivery/2door stationwagon platform.
    64/77 was based on the chevelle platform.
    And 78/87 was based on GM G body platform.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There's one for sale around the corner from where I work BUT you may have to wait a while.. :neutral: PART_1393383104186.jpg I think they are asking $7500

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I know a guy thats got a 69 for sale... Its yellow and needs some body work but I think all he wants is $3500

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've always liked the El Camino. I just chatted with someone who's looking for parts, anyone have any ideas?

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I had a house (and thus a garage to put it in) I'd be looking for an El Camino or a Chevelle to restore.

7. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Had a 68............ January 16, 2005 (10).jpg

Attached Files:

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Nice 68 Poncho.
    I always liked the front end on the 68's best.
    I had a bright orange 4spd 396(non SS) 68 ElCamino when I joined the Navy.
    It wasnt the cleanest car on the road, had some issues, rust in the bed etc. while I was on a Med cruise my exwife left it parked where it shouldnt have been parked, it got towed and was auctioned off for a towing/storage lien 2 months before I came home. One of my biggest regrets.

9. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Who doesn't love the ElCamino?? I have never owned one, but have always liked them, the concept is sporty, and utilitarian! I'v always wanted a caddy "flower car", minus all the flowers!

10. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I had a '73 El Camino SS with a 454 V8 when I was in the Army back in the 70's. I really would like to have another one some day. I would be willing to bet one in great shape would command a big check. I always had a fondness for the El Camino. There were several good years that they were produced. Never saw one I didn't like.