Any golfers? School me on clubs.

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by McClintoc, Jun 18, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I want to get into golf as a hobby. I know the ins and outs and rules of the game, as I have played several times in the past (and even made the golf team in junior high, lol) but I have been out of it for a while. I mainy want to know about clubs. I need a set of irons. I already have the shoes, a bag, a driver and a putter. I just need the irons.

What are some good brands? Will a set off the shelf work or would it be better to get them custom fit?

Thanks!

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I like my Callaway clubs. When I bought them I was torn between them and a set of Mizuno's. The best advice I can give is to go to a golf store. Not Dick's but a store like Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy and swing the different brands. To me golf clubs are like pistol's. It is all in the feel. The off the self golf club is designed for some one that is like 5' 10" or something like that. I am 6'1 or so, so I had a set custom made for me. The price was the same whether it was off the shelf or custom. So I would go custom unless the off the shelf ones fit. Another thing to look at it steel or graphite. I was always told that older players (50+) may benefit from graphite because of slower swing speeds. Just another thing to think about!

How old is your driver? There have been many advancements in driver's over the last few years. So a new driver may also be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  3. McClintoc

I am actually 5'-9", 5'-10" ish so off-the-shelf clubs may work. I figured they were for the "average" player. I just didn't know how crucial club length was. But, I will certainly go to a golf shop and try out all the different ones. My driver is only a couple of years old, at most.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I also have a set of Callaway irons. I wanted a set of mizuno forged irons, but they cost 2 mortgage payments. I agree with what is posted above. Go to a good golf store and hit some clubs, heck hit lots of clubs. It took me about 3-4 weeks to narrow down what I wanted. I went to a "demo days" at a local golf store. There were reps from every brand, I was able to hit every model from every brand with every shaft available. It is all in the feel that you like. I ended up liking the Callaway X-22 and the big bertha's. I bought the big bertha irons from a reputable seller on E-bay (the x-22 were double the price at the time). I called callaway before I bought them and they told me that the seller was an authorized distributor. After I got the clubs I took them to the local golf shop and they inspected them for free to check for authenticity.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, I expect this thread will get a lot of responses; however, [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] and [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] have provided great advice, the only thing I can add, is to try the different shaft flexes. IMO, the most important fitting (after length) is the correct shaft flex (stiff, regular and senior). Other advice that I can provide, would be to consider hybrids for the longer irons (the 3 and the 4); and, you can never have too many wedges.

And, remember the old saying, "Drive for show, putt for dough", get a good putter.

6. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I used Titleist clubs and Calaway drivers when I played for fun a few years earilier! I may sell then for a discount price, if interested..........Oh by the way I am 5'10" and they worked for me!

7. estrom

estrom Member 1 Year

Before advising you to go out and drop serious coin on a new set of clubs, I would ask you a few questions first.
    1. Have you been playing recently at all? If so, what's a typical score?
    2. How athletic are you (not that golf requires a ton of athleticism)?
    3. What are your goals? How serious are you going to take this "hobby"? How often do you intend to play/practice?

All of these should be considered when selecting a set of irons. When it comes to the actual purchase, the advise above regarding sizing, testing, etc... is all spot on (especially when considering a new set).

Since it sounds like you are just getting back into this, I would assume you to be shooting 100+ initially, unless you are a good athlete with hand-eye coordination. Then you might be breaking 100.

What I'm getting at is that you don't need a brand new set if you're starting from scratch. The important thing is starting with a good cavity-back club and most of the top companies (titleist, taylormade, callaway, ping, nike) make them. Since you're average size, you can probably pick up a decent set from a Play-it-again Sports type store.

If you are serious enough to want to break 90 or even 80, then you will be looking at upgrading when you get closer to that point.

My advise is wait on dropping the bucks for a new set until you get proficient enough to warrant it. There are a ton of clubs out there by the major companies that can take your score down to 90 or better. At that point, you'll have learned what you like and can give serious attention to an upgrade.

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Get the ones that hit the ball the farthest. :)

Just have to try a few different mfgs out to see what you like. My shoulders are so screwed up that it almost doesn't matter anymore, I just need something fairly sturdy and I can go out and knock some balls around a little bit. I've got an old set of McGreggors that probably was like $250 back in the early 90's (I bought them used for like $125) that works just as good as my Pings that were a lot more. I will say that the length of the club actually sort-of does make a difference. I found that when I get the +1 clubs I had more contact with the ball.

I love going into Play it Again Sports (http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations) just to see what they have and try to work them down on price. They always have decent golf clubs there. If there isn't anything around you like that, then a higher-end Pawn shop will have some, or you can look on craigslist even.

Anyhow, good luck! Let us know what you get.

Edit: yeah, what @aloxdaddy99 said about club length. I'm a bit outside of the norm for height myself, so getting oversized clubs helped a lot for me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. McClintoc

@estrom Lots of good advice there. I am serious about taking this up as a hobby. I would to play a round maybe every other weekend. My first three to five outings will be the driving range to get my swing back. It's been probably 15 years since my last full round of golf and two or three years since my last trip to the driving range.

I definitely do not want to spend a lot so getting a used set is great idea. I think I'll go check out my nearest Play It Again Sports this weekend. I certainly upgrade later once my score drops. @Steve Thanks for the link. I think the store in Carrolton is closest to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hey [MENTION=56140]McClintoc[/MENTION] ... looks like Bill Murray wants to help you out with some golf clubs. :rofl:

21swr.jpg