Any one got a guess?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by tbplus10, Mar 30, 2012.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

So does anyone know how many 2010 CrewCab 1500 series trucks were manufactured with the 4.3/4 spd and what their book value might be?
    Last week I bid on a lot of 6 used 2010 C/C 1500 LT Chevrolet trucks, each one had less than 13K miles, maintenance records included, 2 had minor cosmetic issues but nothing that wont buff out.
    All of them have upgraded electric seats, AM/FM/CD, A/C, pwr wdws/lcks, cruise, tilt, steering wheel radio controls, fog lamps, 18" aluminium wheels, moderately dressed out trucks.
    I made a low bid because all the other bidders were used car dealers and I knew they had more backing than I could afford to spend right now.
    I won the bid then found out after I got the trucks home every one of them has the 4.3/4spd auto combo, I didnt even know that combo was available in a C/C, cant find it listed in any GM sites as an option, since I dont know the owner history other than a bank that was auctioning the trucks off I have to assume they were a buisiness fleet vehicle.
    Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to turn them for at least my investment.

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's really cool. I don't have an answer to your question, but I would LOVE to see some pics!

3. tbplus10

Yea it's neat from a rarety perspective but I'm not sure how well they'll sell with the smaller engine, in Texas trucks with the V-6 normally dont get a good resale. I might give thought to shipping them out to my brother in Ca. if I can get better resale there.
    For some reason I'd feel better about resale if they had the 5 spd manual behind them.
    I'm hoping present fuel prices help me out some here, even though I dont think the 4.3 is gonna outclass the V-8's in fuel mileage I might luck onto buyers that think the smaller engine is a fuel saver.
    I did track down the original registered owner and it was a company that went bankrupt in 2011, they had a fleet of 46 of these trucks so now I know theres more of them out there.

4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was under the impression that that option was only available on the regular cab work trucks and the Colorados. It would be interesting to know if these were special ordered or if they were swapped out after having some sort of issues. Did you check to see if the serial #s matched????

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, don't feel bad about them not having the manual... that's an option everyone had to live without since 2007. Those trucks would have definitely been a special fleet order in an unusual cost-saving measure, because for non-fleet, you could only get the 4.8 or higher in a crew cab, and even regular cabs had the 4.8 for LT models. And the 4.8 gets the same fuel economy as the 4.3, so the only savings is the initial cost of something like $500 per truck. Sure, thats over $20,000 savings, but its not that much when the company is already buying a million dollars worth of trucks.

Anyway, it varies by area, but up here in Alberta, a similarly equipped LT with that low of mileage and a 4.8 or 5.3 goes for about $26,000. So even if you take off $3,000 for the engine, you'd still be looking at about $23,000 each here. Of course, that could be a lot difference in the states because when I look through trucks for sale there, I see A LOT more that have the 4.3 than in Canada, no matter what year the truck is.

6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, I think a lot might have to do with where you sell them. It could be hard to unload all 6 in that area, but like you said, perhaps the rising fuel prices will help you. I'm surprised that was even an option as well. It seems like an odd match. And like Red said, I'd check to see if the engines matched up. I'd definitely look around at values eslewhere though. I've looked at possibly upgrading to a 6.2 and actually found better prices in southern california than in Washington. That suprised me a bit, although 4wd is less plentiful in CA. (I've only been looking in CA because I'm planning a trip there in December so wouldn't mind picking up a new truck on the way if everything turns out right).

7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

They sound like they were specked out by a purchaser for part of a tendered purchase of a fleet. It happens a lot that a company will spec outrageous specifics, with the pure intention of locking out some other product that may be cheaper, but less desirable for the purpose of the tender, so in fact you most likely have Factory Hybrids, I am not sure if GM commercial leasing is accustom to doing this but if the tender is worth a lot then general biz sense says yes... I know ford commercial leasing will do it all the time to meet specs of tenders...

8. tbplus10

Yep after researching and calling around and I found that the trucks were all ordered under a fleet deal and are part of a group of 300 trucks built to those specs. I know where 46 of them went, the other 254 are out there somewhere on the road with other companies so beware if your buying a 2010 CC it might not be what you think it is.
    After pricing out shipping to Ca. that may be an option later if they dont sell but I'll try here first.
    I've already had two buyers look at and pick out trucks and lots of calls to come by, one will be gone this afternoon I have his money and I'm waiting for the detailer to finish buffing it out and the the other is getting together funds but gave me a $500 non-refundable hold deposit.
    All I need to do is sell 2 more and I'll more than cover my investment and a couple of the callers look promising.

9. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Sweet TBplus... thats the ways to do it.....Congrats from another auction hunter:)

10. tbplus10

Thanks, one day I'll be able to kick my 9-5 to the curb and concentrate on auction hunting full time, until then I suffer on.