Any one using fuel stabilizers in their ride.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Bigbomber, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Just curious if any members on here believe in using a fuel stabilizer,how often and would you use these in your new truck or just an older one.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I've heard good things about the stableizers & fuel treatments for diesels, but fuel treatments for gasoline seem to be more voodoo & just a way to spend money. (The exception is "Sta-bil" which I use to treat gas in my boat both before and after winterizing, & that stuff really does work!! I've got an 80 gallon tank deep in the bilge, can't drain it or siphon it out so treating is the only option)
    Other than Stabil I've never recieved any benefit using them in gas rigs so I haven't used them for several years, and now spend my extra money on hookers.:great:

3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I do use a stabilizer in my lawnmower so i don't get the gum deposits in the motor,as our cold climates can wreak havoc on it over the winter storing it in my shed,but i have never used it on our uplander and the silverado.Seems to work well on the mower(knock on wood) as my craftsman mower is going on it's 16th year with regular oil changes and filter replacement.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

IVe actually had a big problem with Stabil and the new ethanol gas. I run seafoam to stabalize my gas in my boat now. Stabil, has been gumming up the jets in the carbs on my sleds. and my boat didnt do well i had to rebuild the carb this year after using the stuff....

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Uh oh... I never had gummy anything with sta-bil. I first tried it when my friend had left his clunker sit for a year with a 1/2 tank of gas in it. He drove it and it pinged and death rattled so bad that we thought we'd try Sta-bil, since they claimed it would also "renew" old gas that had been sitting, so we gave it a shot. It actually surprised me as I was skeptical about being able to renew old gas, but the old heap never pinged or rattled for the rest of the tankfull. Since then I've used it every year.
    Could your gummy jets be from not circulating the treated fuel from your tank into the float bowls?
    One of our customers treated his fuel tank but forgot to circulate the treated fuel into the carb and he ended up with float bowls & jets full of crud.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We actually mix it in with the last tank of gas for the year, and we usually go on a last ride with that tankful.. and my boat i did the same thing, i took it out on lake superior for a nice long run. So we switched to seafoam in our sleds and havent had a problem, and this is the first year with this boat. so we shall see what happens.