1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any particular brand water pump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rfdillon, Nov 7, 2007.

1. rfdillon

rfdillon Member

Folks, as I'm contemplating replacing the water pump this weekend, is there any particular brand that you all recommend? I'm also considering replacing the fan clutch, as the last time I replaced the water pump and fan clutch was in 1998.
    Also, I was wondering where you purchase water pump lubricant, as I used to be able to find it at Autozone and PepBoys, but the last time I made a trip through my local Auto parts stores, I couldn't find water pump lubricant on the shelf of any of the local stores that I tried.

Thanks so much in advance for your help and advice!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I usually use OEM parts, if I cant find an inexspensive source for OEM parts I'll use a brand that gives a lifetime warranty.
    If you use a good brand antifreeze you wont need to add water pump lubricant. Try Redline "Water Wetter", its an antifreeze additive that reduces temperatures and has a lubricant in it.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have used aluminum water pumps on race engines to lower the weight, but good old cast iron does it for me these days. I prefer new to rebuilt.
    [​IMG]
  4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

if it were me new water pump from NAPA or other lift time warrenty and toss the stock fan in the trash. they like to wear out the pump bearings and fail at the wrong time and suck power from the motor. i goto the junk yard anda get a tarus fan and install it and never look back.
    the fan
    [​IMG]
    the controller
    [​IMG]
    the new water pump
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. collinsperformance

fan installed (this is on my 572 chevy 27' Motorhome
    [​IMG]
    i do this combo on almost all my cars....mike
  6. rfdillon

rfdillon Member

That looks like a great ideal I have an auxiliary fan on my 1983 300D Mercedes Benz, that only kicks in when the temp or refrigerant pressure reaches a certain point. What I'm not clear about is the wiring - I would need to know precisely where to wire it, and am also a little concerned about brushes going out, and then I'd be stuck. I have had an aux fan on the MB go out and not know it until I saw the coolant temperature rising above normal.
    Do you think most junk yards would know what a taurus fan is? Do you mean a fan from a Ford Taurus? How would I mount it on the Suburban?
    Thanks again so much for the great pics and advice, and I want to look a little more carefully before I plunge to all electric.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Taurus fans seem to have an extremely long life span, very unusual for FOMOCO parts.:lol:

Do you mean a fan from a Ford Taurus?
    Yes a Ford Taurus fan from mid 80's to mid 90's auto.

How would I mount it on the Suburban?
    They can be mounted many ways, I've seen a some mounted with zip ties through the radiator fins (not my favorite method) or by a flat piece of steel running from the radiator support to the fan mounting points.

Wiring depends on how fancy you want to get, do you want an in cab shutt-off, run by thermostat, or full time on.
    Taurus fans are a popular and practical swap.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  8. collinsperformance

i not had one go out yet, but the motor in my ford tarus went out first and that fan in in my old 79 F250 running still. i done the zip ties and built mounts depends on your wants i used an ignition hot wire to run the therm controler to a constant duty solinoid and to the fan.....no issues. this is a popular fan swap as it has 2 speeds and it out flows many of the big name brand elec fan company fans.....mike