1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

any pet lovers on here?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by GM_Guy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

having a problem with My 6 year old male cat
    about a day and a half ago, he has developed trouble urinating. once he howled softly as he tried, sometimes he will do a little, other times he can't

I first thought it was related to that pet food recall, but the brand I used to feed him was never found on the list

I am at a loss as to what is wrong. I don't have the funds available to a vet :(
    so I may be forced to have local shelter pick him up :(,unless I can get some kind of medication to help him
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like a UTI, Urinary Tract Infection.

Melanie is a Vet Tech, but she is in bed right now. I will ask her in the morning.

Sorry to here the little guy is in pain.

Check back in the morning.
  3. GM_Guy

that would be great. sometimes he is able to pass a little,other times not. would like to know if there's something I can get to give him for it
  4. 84fiero123

Melanie said the cat has urinary calculi (spelling).

To me and you the cat has stones, the plumbing is blocked.

He needs to go to the vet or he will eventually not be able to piss and will poison himself.

You may be able to control it with pills.

He may need surgery, you really need take him to the vet to be sure.

Steve & Melanie
  5. GM_Guy

thanks for the info. vet clinics here are closed for the weekend, so I will contact one Monday and see if they can help. he's still able to go some. I will monitor him very closely

tell Melanie thanks for Me
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  6. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm a pet lover too. I have two dogs and five cats.
    I know when something is wrong with them you do anything possible to help them. I spent $250 this week on veterinarian cost only.
    I hope everything will turn out ok, good luck.:shocked:
  7. GM_Guy

thanks everyone. I am going to do what I can to help him. I could likely afford medication, but I don't think I could afford surgery. I hope you all will say a prayer for him

I wonder what caused this infection? what steps would be needed to prevent it from recurring?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  8. 84fiero123

Melanie says to have him neutered, the cat and the owner. Saves time and money all the way around.

[​IMG]

She also said, Get the cat in as soon as possible.

Good vibes and prayers sent.

And give him a pat for me and Melanie.
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have any antibiotics at home?

Do you have any old antibiotics at home-maybe something for a wife/girlfriends cystitis?
    I will probably get flamed, but it would make sense to treat him for a bladder/kidney infection.Whenever you get plugging in any organ/passageway-urethra/ureter/intestine,ear draining canal etc in short order you develope an infection-always.
    Your cat might very well have bladder or kidey stones, but he could have primary cystitis with no stones.Point is, either way he almost certainly has a bladder infection.
    Bactrim(sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim)
    Amoxil
    Augumentin(amoxicillin clavulonic acid)
    Cipro or any of the antibiotics that in generic from end with something like cin(ciprofloxicin)
    All the above might work.
    Chip about 10% off one of the pills-give 10% twice a day.10% is a very large dose for a cat, but you won't get the entire amount in him-lucky if you get in 1/2.
    Keep it up until you get him to a vet.
    No don't worry about ruining any culture result-the vet will start treatment waaaay before he gets any result.Tell the vet you did this-if you do-save yourself the price of a culture.
    Cats can,and do use, the same antibiotics that humans use-a couple of days won't hurt,and might help.
    If you have capsules-just spill about 10% out and put it on a small pellet of bread-try to stuff it down his mouth-or put it in a small amount tuna with oil-same story with the chip.It is very difficult to dose a cat if you haven't done it before.
    Your vet will tell you you shouldn't have done this etc-might give you lots of reasons, but if you can't get to the vet for 36 hours-cat is in agony- it is worth a try.Maybe a relative have some left over antibiotics
    Don't worry about the age-tetracycline is the only common antibiotic that becomes toxic with age.The rest just become less effective.
    We have 4 cats-1 dog.
    Luck,
    Charlie
  10. GM_Guy

I certainly will get a vet called first thing monday morning. I am hoping they will accept payments for their services. I had him neutered in 2002. I just gave him a pet for you both :)

he was sleeping on the bathroom floor. I will also check the local shelter,to see if they have a program to help pet owners that can't afford vet costs.

My mother and I are preparing ourselves emotionally for whatever happens. we are praying and hoping he will be ok. we've owned him since 2001, with no health problems prior to this. thanks for thinking of us