Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Any reason I should not switch to E85?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Schaub, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Schaub

Schaub Rockstar

So I'm contemplating switching to e85. Does anyone have a reason not to switch other than the MPG loss?

Its about .50 less here in IL so, I don't really see a reason not to try it.

Can I just fill it up with corn juice or should I run most of my tank out first?

Also, does anyone see a reason why I couldnt run the 93 tune on my Predator if I switched?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

Well if you aren't worried about MPG loss then i don't see why not. But i would run the tank down before filling back up. I really don't about the Tuner question, sorry.

3. Schaub

Schaub Rockstar

I only drive about 35 miles round trip for work so the mpg hit isnt that bigga deal.

4. L1n5c0tt

L1n5c0tt New Member

i run e85 in my 2007 classic with no problems. the savings at the the pump about .50-.60 cent a gallon in Indiana it add up to the same as gas in the long run and i get better performance out of e85. to you Q about running it out u dont have to my wife uses my truck and put regular gas in it all the time with no problems. don't no about programmer.

5. jdennis44

jdennis44 Rockstar 100 Posts

not to steal your post Schaub but is it true that e85 should never get over 3 bucks a gallon? if that is the case then i would think switchin over to running e85 would be a great idea seeing how they are predicting gas will be around 5 buck a gallon this summer. yall are lucky up north though..down here where i live in Georgia we dont even have any e85 pumps!

6. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you truck is a flexfuel vehicle, then you should be able to switch over with no problems. If it's not, you have to make sure you have sufficient injectors and tuning capability to be able to switch to E85. E85 requires more fuel for proper mixture (hence lower mpg), so bigger injectors are needed. On an 09 I'd think you'd be ok, but cannot say for sure.

If it's flexfuel, you don't need to drain the tank. If it Isn't, you want to drain the tank (at least mostly) before changing your tune.

You will get better performance with E85, as it allows you to crank up the timing due to a higher octane (generally thought around 94-96 octane). This helps you get some of that mpg back through more power, but does require tuning to adjust the timing.

7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

your welcome for the cheaper E85 (taxpayer subsidies):no:. But it is what it is, so if you have the flex fuel truck i'd switch over, since I assume you have an E85 station that is conveniently located near you.

8. Schaub

Schaub Rockstar

at least 5 that I can think of...

I'm switching over after this tank. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Diablos website doesn't mention anything about not runnig E85 so I'm sure it would be fine. I'm sure Diablo thought about the flex-fuel trucks when they designed the Preditor for them. Have you checked there forum about this???

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will see about a 30% drop in MPG when on e85. Snce you're 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline the funny thing is that it takes gasoline to produce ethanol so you will see an increase in the 15% and a slight increase in the 85% ethanol.

Personally, I think it's a net-wash when it comes to energy savings (that's pretty trick to figure it all out, but until we can get something like switch grass or anything but corn then we won't see the massive boost in energy), but you can feel better knowing that you are only using 15% gasoline when going down the road instead of 90% like everyone else.

I'm driving a 2011 Tahoe e85 Flex Fuel for my demo right now, I should do a story on that.