any suggestion for mufflers for an '81 with a 454

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by RyanGoldthorpe, Apr 15, 2013.

1. RyanGoldthorpe

RyanGoldthorpe New Member

I have a 1981 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 2wd it used to have an diesel engine in it. when that went my father and I built a 454 for it. the 454 has a couple mods done to it. Hooker headers, mild cam, and a few other things. the exhaust is currently running out the stock diesel mufflers so its time for some new ones. I want something that is going to sound good throaty with not to much snap and not to loud...
    some help please let me know what you think.

22470960017_large.jpg
    22470960003_large.jpg
  2. highspeed

highspeed New Member

I say put some glasspacks on her and let her talk nasty to ya!

Everyone that I know runs flowmaster 40s or 44s, sounds good to me but its all in what you like.

I personally like to get a good rumble, but not a space shuttle lift off on full throttle. Dynomax makes a good muffler that won't be too loud. I just can't remember the name of it.
  3. crazyforgms

crazyforgms New Member

i think you are talking about ultra flow
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

im gonna buy flowmaster 50s for mine. theyre just like how your discribing but theyll boom when you want them too, and be mellow on the highway.
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

The CherryBomb Votex is a pretty good muffler for the price. Combination of chamber and glasspack
  6. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member

that is a sexy f'ing truck lol i had flowmaster 40s on my 355 and it made it sound pretty beefy. magnaflow makes good exhaust too and they seem to last longer than the flowmasters. if youre on a budget, id say true duals with flowmaster 40s or 44s, for a tight budget go glasspacks, if you have more than a few hundred to spend, magnaflows with a x-pipe. great sound, great power... and magnaflow stickers (+10% horse power at the wheels)