Any suggestions for an Ipod hook up on a 2004 suburban

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Ronaldo, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

I have a 2004 suburban with the OEM radio, internal 6 cd changer, Bose, On-Star, XM, rear seat controls. I would like to be able to play my Ipod through it.

Radio.jpg

Is there an easy way to connect an Ipod?

I wouldn't mind replacing it with a more modern unit, even an aftermarket radio, but there is so much that goes through the radio, I don't want to mess anything up or loose features like chimes, play after you stop the car, etc.

I've seen the some of after market adaptors, but has anyone installed one on this type of setup? If so, how did it work and did you loose anything?
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

Forgot. I also have steering wheel controls.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

I did see that unit. Do you have it installed with this type of radio?

I'm not really price constrained. To get this done right I wouldn't object to spending 700-800 if I don't give up the functions I already have or cause something not to work right. I would just be bummed to spend that much and find out later that this feature of the truck doesn't work anymore.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I just bought a nice after market head unit. Most of those will need some special adapters to hear chimes, steering wheel controls and such though.
  6. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Go with the PAC module. I have installed dozens of these in trucks as new as 2011, they work great and you retain all factory controls and they take literally 15 minutes to install
  7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

I am going with the PAC AAIGM12. I will let you know next week how it turns out.

Any suggestions on where to route the cord outto plug the Iphone and where to locate the switch to toggle between inputs?
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I don't have the same model truck as you, but I would run the Ipod connection into the glove box. That way it is outta sight for prying eyes should you forget to take it out. As far as mounting the switch I would mount it in a place that you can get to it easily from the drivers seat. I like the look of a factory install so I would try to mount it in a place that it would look like a factory option or outta sight all together.
  9. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

I kept saying Ipod, but I meant Iphone. I think I will go for a factory look too.