1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any suggestions for great stereo stuff for a 2002 2500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by stephenwsmith, Nov 8, 2011.

1. stephenwsmith

stephenwsmith Member

Hi, Any suggestions for a great stereo rig for a 2002? I want bluetooth for my cellphone, and I'd also like an ipod connection. Would like cool speakers (what do you suggest) all in factory openings, so I dont have a box in the truck.

Have a good custom shop but he does not do many suburbans so thought you guys might have some ideas?

Stephen
  2. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

If you're just replacing the factory components in the factory locations, I think it would be a huge waste of money to take it to a custom shop. A good online store will have quality diy instructions. I've tried a few places, and usually end up back at crutchfield.com. They are priced higher, but their customer service has bailed me out a few times.

For stereo, there's too many options to make a specific recommendation, just find something you like that will be easy to operate while driving. You can wander around bestbuy and play with their display models to see what kind of features you prefer. For speakers, same thing really.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I wouldn't take my truck to a custom shop for stereo work, it's relatively simple to install audio equipment IMO. For a stereo I use the Alpine CDE-103BT---->http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-103bt/ MSRP is $229 but I've seen it for well under $200 elsewhere online. For speakers the sky is the limit really. I use Rockford Fosgate speakers and they get the job done. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. Alpine, Rockford Fosgate and JL Audio are all good speaker brands.
  4. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

For mids and highs I would recommend Focal and for sub I would go with Kicker or just use all JL Audio. I plan on swapping to all JL very soon.

As far as a head unit I have a Pioneer AVH-p4200DVD it is double din touch screen. It doesn't come with Bluetooth or a Ipod cable but they can be purchased and thats the route I went with I also added navigation and the add ons are not very pricey either.

Just search for a head unit you like and in your price range and just start building from there. My dad has owned custom stereo shop my entire life so one thing I do recommend is if you go with subs do a custom built box to the subs specific air space and dont buy one of those premade ones you will be much happier with the sound quality.

Justin
  5. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I have the Kenwood BT-900 in my Suburban. I did the install myself. The bluetooth audio is very clear when I've asked anyone who has called me. The radio is smart enough to pull the address book from my phone, so I can dial right thru the stereo.

I honestly bought it because of Zune support, but it supports ipod. Zune can port audio, but ipod can port video and audio to a rear screen. I probably will upgrade to a ipod because of this. The screen is very nice and also displays album art.

Also, the model I have has been upgraded. The Kenwood BT-901 adds support for a rear camera. An almost absolute necessity in driving these rigs. :)

The one nagging thing I have to say about my unit. If you are connected to bluetooth and you stop the vehicle, the radio does not graciously release the call connection. I get dropped. Similarly, if I'm already talking on the phone, and start the rig, it does not join the call. My Eclipse radio in my other car is able to release and join calls in progress. Something I have not verified is if the BT-901 handles this more graciously.