Any tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Black Beauty, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Black Beauty

Black Beauty New Member

I have a 2005 Tahoe. I call her "Big Bertha". Love it to death.........but, when it started raining, and I took her on the freeway for the first time in the rain, she started to fishtail.........What to do.....I replaced the original tires with Michelin Cross Terrain's (265/70/16). Excellent tires, only problem I had with them was when a stupid nail would jump in front of one of the tires, and I would get a flat. It's time to replace them after getting 70,000 miles out of them. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could replace them with (same size). Love those Michelins, but my money situation isn't quite like it was when I dropped 900.00 bucks for a set of four. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have the Cooper Discoverer ATs on my Toyota and the STs on my Silverado. The less aggressive ATs have a 70K warranty similar to the Michelin's.

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

For my personal ride, I buy factory take offs from all those guys who swap out for rim/tire packages. You can get nice factory alloys with near new tires for less than $400 bucks. Checkout craigslist in your area.

For my work truck I talked the boss into a gorgeous set of the new Wrangler MT/R's. Tread is very aggressive (noisy), and they have 6 ply's including one kevlar ply that has kept me puncture free so far. Very pricey at $1500 for a set of 5 tires.

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I do the same as "unplugged", I use Craig's List. I've bought two or three sets that way and it works well, especially for the "budget challenged"!

5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

BFGoodrich is made by Michelin. They are really good tires, and considerably less than the Michelins.

6. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine and love them. No complaints with these.

7. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

i would try to call some of the independent tire stores and try to find out if they sell used. When i was getting ready to turn in my TB lease i had to put new rubber on it or the dealer wouldve charged me $1000 or more, i found a set of Michelin Cross Terrains for $50 a piece. With tax out the door i spent $212. the tires were used but still had the little rubber nipple things on them. It was a steal.