1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any Virginia fishermen?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by rileyjr16, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Any fishermen here in Virginia? Looking to relieve some of the casting itch I've been getting. I fish freshwater as well as saltwater too. Coming from Louisiana I am not familiar with any laws yet. And I have not gotten a fishing license yet either. I'm looking at buying a kayak here soon and doing some fishing from that as I have done it back home fresh and saltwater.

I fish for bass, sacalait (you northern folks call em crappie), bream and catfish.
    Now for saltwater, redfish and speckle trout.

As far as place to fish and what to use and where to put in at and where they will be (saltwater wise) I am clueless. Someone with fishing knowledge of coastal and inland Virginia out there?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The TideWater area is great for fishing, when I was stationed there I had a half dozen special spots that never let me down.
    Right on NS Norfolk the rocky jetty near the runway is great for Flounder, Sea Bass, and Blue Crabbs.
    Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel first exit still on the bridge before the tunnel portion, Flounder, Sea Bass, Blue Crabb, Stingray, and sharks.
    Lynhaven inlet and tributaries, Flounder, Blue Crabb, Shark.
    Duck inlet, Flounder, Sea Bass, Shark.
    Back bay around Knotts Island, Flounder, Sea Bass, Blue Crabb. This spot has an added benefit, you might just run across an old fella that youll recognize, he makes a point of inviting Sailors to his house for a beer and lunch. If ya run into him say hi to Andy Griffith for me, his buddy Don knotts used to hang out on the water too, I cant count the times I ended up at Andys house for lunch after a morning on the water fishing.
    And my last special spot was right on the Elizabeth river in front of the PETA national hdqtrs fishing for Sea Bass and Blue Crabb, if they try to chase ya away remind them of Virginia and Federal law which states No Private Person or Private Entity can own property all the way to the water, they can only own property to within 25" of the high water mark or tideline on a public waterway. I got more fun out of screwing with PETA than I did actually Fishing.
    If your fishing from a Kayak the Back Bay area is the best place to fish, even though I had a 27" Wellcraft NovaSport fisher I spent more time fishing the back bay in my 13" canoe with a good friend of mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot the bait and tackle:
    Most spots we used Squid/Calamari unless we were going after Blue Crabb, then we used Chicken necks and backs aged in the sun for a day or so to toughen it up.
    I had three rods, a 10' saltwater spinning combo, a 5' deep sea rod, and a 13' Surf casting rod. Nothing fancy, the salt water spinner and surf rods I bought at NS Norfolk Exchange for $30 ea or so, the deep sea rod I bought at NS Alameda for $20 to use off of piers, jettys, and for chasing Sturgeon in the Sacramento river.
    Lots of weights and downrigger set-ups, hooks and line according to what your fishing for.
  3. rileyjr16

That's awesome Tim. Thanks for some secret spots.
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

We used to fish Lake Smith a lot. That was before the houses started to be built around the lake. Other than that X2 what TB said.
  5. rileyjr16

Found a kayak for 200$ that you sit in and after some modifications ill try her out. Though I haven't bought one yet. I'm gonna try and do a little more bass fishin first and make the move to saltwater
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

No problem.
    Keep in mind I last visited/fished the area in 2004 so some spots couldve changed, but Im betting a few of them survived.
    I never did any fresh water fishing while I was out there, I once visited a freshwater pond out on Fentress Auxilary field, since its a fenced in Military reservation and somewhat remote the pond never gets fished, they were taking Bream, and Bass out of it when I was there. Might be something to look into.
  7. rileyjr16

Never heard of the field. Relatively new to the area still.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

hit me up if you wanna go out man, i know a few spots we can try....

Alex
  9. rileyjr16

Roger that alex. Might be soon