Any way to test the water pump with engine off?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, May 24, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi guys, I was explaining my plight with my recent thermostat replacement (that worked for 7 days then water started leaking from the water pump area of the truck) to my friends dad and he said i should test the water pump by trying to spin the radiator fan while the engine is off.

I didnt understand what he meant by this but is anyone familiar with what he might be referring to and whether this would work on a 2004 silverado?

He also mentioned that if the engine had alot of electronics on it, that trick may not work as it might've been for older more mechanical based engines.

Just to clarify the title i mean engine off not out, as in, engine installed truck off, not engine off the truck :p

2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I think he means take the belt off and check to see if the bearing is wiped out. Try that and rent a pressure tester from az and look for leaks. I have been smelling coolant lately so im in the same boat, just havent had time to check where its leaking.

3. redvett

redvett Member 100 Posts

Why not tell us what M&Y???

4. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

my bad, i thought i mentioned that.

its a 2004 Silverado 1500 5.3L 2wd