1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Any Years to Avoid?

Discussion in 'General Classifieds' started by Tom Evans, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

My 1990 GSM Suburban was totaled last night and I am in the market for a newer one, probably in the 1998-2003 range.

Are there any years to avoid in this time frame?

Thanks.

Tom

2. TA Dave

TA Dave Member

Honestly I'd go with a 2000+ with the LSx based motor and the newer body style. They get better MPG and the motors will live forever.

The 5.3 (1500) and the 6.0 (2500) motors are based on the same motor as the Corvette and F bodies, and can make some serious power. On the other hand, I've seen many LS1 F- bodies go 180K miles without any motor issues.

The 03 will allow you to use the newer stereo/GPS systems.

Just my take on it.

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear about your burb getting totalled, hope everyone is alright.
    I have to agree with TADave on his take as I own a 2001 Suburban 1500 LS and it has leather, quad seating, and premium ride suspension and my wife loves it. The 5.3 is very fast as well. 2003 and newer (like Dave said) would be your best bet for electronics esp. with Onstar switching to digital in 2008 which will make my 2001's Onstar obsolete.:neutral:

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sorry to hear about the total. I've been in wrecks before where everything was totaled, it's no fun at all. Hope noone was hurt.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

1999 and older-great price-

I'm a very new-2 month-Suburban owner(2wd 1998 196,000 miles-$2950).I've been very pleasantly surprised with it.The PO had the trans rebuilt at 186000-ac & intake mani gasket 155000.It runs just fine-motor strong, not obvious oil use in 600 miles-.It does rattle a bit on our washboard roads, but it is pretty quiet on decent roads and highways.
    The mpg isn't bad-12 mpg in pure short trip city driving.If I drive across town-with a mix of driving on city interstate and ground streets -I get 16 mpg-not bad at all.My much newer designed and 500 lb heavier Titan only got .2mpg better on the same drive.
    I would rather have the newer motor and body style of course-and the better brakes of the 2000 on up, but the 1999 and older are really selling cheap-because of $3 gas I guess.
    If $$ is a concern-it was with me-a 1999 or older will sell for maybe $4000-$5000 less than a 2000 or newer with the same miles.
    Luck,
    Charlie

6. Turbo-go

Turbo-go New Member

Hello Tom,

I am also sorry to hear the passing of your suburban. May she rest in peace.

I have a 1998 K1500 with the 5.7L and for the most part I am very happy with it. My only complaint is that my particular year has a very low tow rating (6500lbs). Didn't bother me till we upgraded our travel trailer. Going from 3200lb to a 5300lb trailer made a noticeable difference. I did some research on Edmunds.com and seems 99 through current have at least a 8500lbs tow ratings.

I also am a woodworker and one thing I don't like about the 2007 is that you can no longer lay a 4ft by 8ft sheet of plywood in the back...flat.

Oh, also bear in mind I put low miles on my truck; I just took it in today for its 60K mile maintenance!

Turbo-go

7. MotorheadRQ

MotorheadRQ New Member

What year to avoid

Tom,

Its all good! The best thing to do is research the previous history on a given vehicle, if possible. If there is any year that might be a little off it is 2000. Emissions changed alot and some units were a little down on power from what I hear.

Currently I have a 2001 Yukon 4x4. No problems and 127k. Sold my last Suburban, a 1999 3/4ton 4x4 LT with over 160k that was previously a corporate vehicle. I did some stuff because I wanted to not because I had to. Did have to replace injectors because they were leaking, but it was a spare vehicle and I had time and space to do it.

Find one you like and latch on to it. Rely on these forums to ask for help if there is an issue. They have helped me a lot and saved a ton of money.

Hope this helps.

RQ

8. tazzrocx420

tazzrocx420 New Member

suxs

that suxs you totaled your burb...... hope your ok

do you wanna part it out now?? i need a 350 motor still....... or even a 454

thats if your close 2 indiana

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007