1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anybody else have ranch dogs?

Discussion in 'Games Forum' started by 1991 Suburban, Feb 11, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member 100 Posts

No caption needed!

[​IMG]
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well depends what you mean. i grew up with and is my parents dog which is a blue/red healer mix. she is for sure a hearder though there isnothing on the farm for her to heard HAHA..
    I have two massive Toy poodles (mine is 5lbs and my wifes is 11lbs) and they fit in out house nicely since we dont have enough room to keep a big dog happy.
  3. 1991 Suburban

Luckily, we have enough room for 2 chihuahuas, a chocolate lab and a french brittany. Lola, the blondie in the picture, decided she wanted to ride on the Kubota with me, and was very content to just go for a ride.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We got Artemis 4 days ago.She is very sweet-22 months old, but acts like a long legged puppy.
    Phoebe our dog passed on 3 weeks ago-age 12-loved that dog.

Charlie
    Arty in yard with metal-1.jpg

PS She is wearing the muzzle until we are sure she won't chomp the outdoor cat who isn't ours but who literally works for food-croaking the local rats/mice. He is a sweet cat-murder on rats-but sweet to my wife.Neighbo's cat but she comes by daily for "take out"(real cat food and rodents)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  5. 1991 Suburban

What kind of dog is she? Looks like if she were to get out of the yard, you'd play hell chasin' her down. LOL Definitely pretty, though.
  6. sweet71

sweet71 New Member

Six, all bordercollie. two corgies but we don't count them
  7. 1991 Suburban

Sweet71, little dogs count (most of the time)...Given the opportunity, Lola likes to go hunt dove or quail, though ducks are out of the question. She absolutely despises the water. 'Eh, it's okay. She does great for what she is!
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

1991 Suburban
    She is a greyhound-retired racer.They-the breeders owners at dog tracks-are strictly in it for the $$-they don't want to feed a less than extremely fast dog during the off season-now there are groups that will adopt them off.

They make great pets- very gentle, almost never bite humans, gentle with kids-many are small dog cat safe-not all but many.They also have almost ZERO DOGGY ODOR- big plus for many folks.Not much hair, so not much shedding.
    They arrive fully housetrained- almost never have an accident in the house-don't know how this is accomplished- but there it is-BIG PLUS to not have to fool with that.

You are right-they are impossible to run down from behind.They have an EXTREMELY STRONG PREY DRIVE- if something runs-they chase it! Sudden fast !Movement is catnip to them. In general they can never be allowed to run free in an unfenced place. If something moving/running attracts their attention-THEY WILL NOT COME TO YOU- it is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO TRAIN THIS OUT OF THESE RETIRED RACERS WHO HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO CHASE MOVEMENT. Their genes reinforce this-just like us-they notice movement.Pretty typical for predators and prey to have eyes and brains that focus on movement.

When they escape you are instructed to get in your car/truck and follow them-they generally like to go for rides-
    Artemis already hops right into the Suburban-she is a good judge of "car flesh" I guess.

It would be hard to find a better pet.Despite their size and speed (once off the track males weigh about 80 lbs, females about 65 lbs-and they are tallish-taller than a German Shepard) they do well in apartments.You just need to walk them.They are considered low energy dogs-not like Labs or Beagles and sure as heck not like a Jack Russel(sweet fun dogs, but very high energy-it took 7 of us(4 fast teenagers) to run my brother's Jack Russel down once she escaped in our suburban neighborhood)

Yes, I love dogs, cats many animals-not so much birds(cold eyed little feathered reptiles) and not so much snakes(I don't kill them on site, but they don't bring out warm feelings-I would immediately kill any poison snake in my yard-they creep me out, and might bite my cats/dogs)

In general I prefer dogs and cats to most humans.Never had one try to rip me off, or stab me, been bitten occasionally,no big deal.
    Charlie
  9. 1991 Suburban

Charlie, Glad you were able to give her a good home! We have dogs, cats and your favorite feathered reptiles! LOL Yes, the birds can be a pain in the ass, but they truly are fun. We have 3 macaws (hopefully soon be down to 1) and an african grey. All in all, this place is pretty much a friggin' zoo!
  10. sweet71

sweet71 New Member

Could not agree more.